Best Replacement Speaker for Bass Tone for Mark IIC Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danipman

Reaction score
I would like to improve low end on Boogie combo, while preserving a chimey sound and SPL around 99. I think the less efficient speakers help sound.

Am looking for comments about Celestion, Weber, Emminence, Tonetubby, etc 12" speakers.

I play Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Alt country stuff. Need a nice round clean sound.

So Far I have tried:

EV Blackshadow: Too Loud, kinda clinical

Jensen 12N Reissue: Less Bass, but nice chimey sound

Reverned ALLTONE: Chimey, a little better bass.

Thanks for any comments

Dan

The EV Black shadow is that the 90 watt or the 200 watt version?

An EVM12L should do the job. These were actually designed and sold as bass speakers they handle 200 watts and can hump with the best of them plus they have a lot of high end for the chime you want. EVM12S was designed for more treble less bass. Mesa use the EVM12L in these from the factory some had no sticker on the back some had EV sticker and I think some had a Mesa Black Shadow sticker thats why I asked the question above. I don't know of anything that will give you a stronger tighter bass then the EVM12L.

I have use loads of other speakers. I have a couple Tone Tubby cabs they are dark but loose they wont get the hump but are great for leads and crunchy rhythm. You might try a Eminence Tonker it is rated at 150 watts I think and had a pretty wide range sound.

Maybe you should try the Mesa/Celestion 90 watter. It's Mesa's standard speaker. It's been my favorite speaker for long time now. It won't have quite the tight bass of the EV, but it is smoother sounding.

My voter goes to the Mesa C 90. THis is a Celestion Classic Lead, made for Mesa. The Tonker is a good sounding speaker, but is very effecient (102 decibels). They are a little brighter than the C 90's.

TW

Latest posts

Back