Best Preamp Tube for Rhythm 2 Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtop

Reaction score
Looking for ideas for preamp tubes to get a more aka Marshall type rhythm out of rhythm 2 on a Mark III red stripe. Any suggestions!

I'm running a mullard in v1 & v3 , rca's in v2 & v5 with a mesa sovtek as the reverb driver .
I 've tried other combination's but seem to keep coming back to this .
It just sounds so very big . :D
Edit :I have used a telefunken in v2 and it seems to give it a "darker" quality .

I don't know Marshalls personally, but I am running a NOS RCA 12AT7 in the V2 and love it!! That (and the AT7 in the PI spot, as well) does MUCH to rid the graininess from the R2 and Lead channels. The R2's crunch and Lead's OD is much better, with the latter yielding a more creamy OD I associate with Boogies. R1 still sounds big, round, and chimey so no ill effects there. I don't know if this helps you specifically, but it may be worth a try.
:)

Edward

edward said:
I don't know Marshalls personally, but I am running a NOS RCA 12AT7 in the V2 and love it!! That (and the AT7 in the PI spot, as well) does MUCH to rid the graininess from the R2 and Lead channels. The R2's crunch and Lead's OD is much better, with the latter yielding a more creamy OD I associate with Boogies. R1 still sounds big, round, and chimey so no ill effects there. I don't know if this helps you specifically, but it may be worth a try.

Edward

Just a note: I took your advice Edward, and did exactly what you describe above with 12AT7s in the V2 and PI. Much relief of the graininess in R2 and Lead. Thanks for taking the time to run your tests, and most of all, for sharing your results here.

Tim

You are most welcome! I'm glad that something I did can be helpful to others ...especially since I've gotten so much help from the great folks here on my recent MKIII acquisition and mods. Cheers and enjoy!!

Edward

Edward thanks for your input on this. Which RCA 12AT7s are you using and are you using them just in phase inverter and V2 only? Thanks.

Hi Goldtop,

I am using NOS RCA 12AT7, red and black box if memory serves me. I'm sure any good-quality AT7 would probably serve you just as well. Or you can also try a 5751 if you've got one handy ...these fall in between an AX7 and an AT7.

And on my MKIII, yes, after quite a bit of experimentation, I arrived at the AT7 in just the V2 and PI spots. But you may arrive at different conclusions.

Remember that your ears, music tastes, and playing style will dictate what works well for you. I wanted a less gritty R2 and Lead, but didn't want to "gut" the Lead channel of too much drive and punchiness. So the AT7 in the V2 and PI, for me and what I play, is exactly what I wanted. It made both the R2 and Lead channel less grainy, and the Lead's OD more creamy. Let you ears be your guide. And don't forget to check the R1's sound when you're playing swap-a-tube. You don't want to get a killer tone in one channel and sacrifice tone in another. Hope this helps you a bit ::)

Edward

Back