Best pickup for driving your boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love my 89's (which are an 85 or an SA selectable). i prefer 85's
in the bridge of any tube amp, cant stand the 81, too brittle!
i get 17 different combinations out of my 570.
i use 3 mini toggles, on/off for each pickup, then my volume knob
splits the neck 85 down to an SA, and the tone know splits the
bridge 85 down to an SA.
any sound i want!

here are some pics!
RG570Electronics4.jpg

RG570Electronics1.jpg

I don't know if this has been stated before, but Mesa uses guitars with Anderson pickups to test all their amps in the shop, so I'll bet you can't go wrong there.

I haven't found a pickup that dosen't sound good with my Heartbreaker, But I like lower output pickups since the Heartbreaker has so much gain and midrange on tap.

Seymour Duncan 59 (with covers) in my Ibanez semi-acoustic and an Alnico Pro II / Jerry Donahue set up on a 5 way switch in my Looney "tele".

I use:

PRS Archtop neck and bridge (in my PRS Hollowbody)

Seymour Duncan Hotrails T bridge and
OC Duff custom wound pickup neck for my Tele

Anderson pickups! I can understand why Mesa tests with them.

I've got EMGs on my 7-string, and the lifeless tone leaves me frustrated, wanting to switch to my 6-string with Anderson pickups. The EMGs are great for low noise, and they provide superior clarity on low, distorted chords, but that killer tone just isn't there.

I have a pair of 7-string Anderson pickups waiting for a custom guitar to be built for them. Carvin is the only guitar maker I know of that does custom 7 strings, but I'm sure there are probably others I'm not aware of.

An update to my earlier comment:
I asked Carvin if they could make a custom 7-string with different pickups, and I got a pretty snotty response. The pickup issue wasn't really a dealbreaker, but the attitude was. I was ready to drop $1200 on a new guitar, but it's amazing how fast you can lose a new customer just by acting like a jerk.

Anyway, this prompted me to search eBay instead, and I got a used DC727 in mint condition for less than half the cost of a new one.

My impression of the guitar: Excellent guitar, plays very well, quality construction (electronics cavity is even copper-shielded). As for the Carvin pickups, they sounded kinda average, but nothing special. I immediately pulled them out and installed my Anderson 7-string pickups and used the existing coil tap switches as series/parallel switches. I'm very happy with the results. Luckily, the Anderson pickups fit, although it took some brainstorming to find a good way to mount them.

The best guitar pickups to drive your mesa:

EMG 81 BRIDGE WITH PA-2 ; EXG; SPC CIRCUITS

EMG 89 NECK WITH PA-2 ; EXG; SPC CIRCUITS

BILL LAWRENCE L500XL BRIDGE

DI MARZIO X2N BRIDGE

And those pickups are a Bill Larence design - the S1 Samarium Cobalt babies... those work wonderfully with the LSS, as do the Gibson 490R and 490T alnico humbuckers in my SG.

Latest posts

Back