best non mesa cab for 3ch dual recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metallicat

Reaction score
and not including marshall i don't like the sound of those. yeah i know i'm picky. but i'm trying to save alittle money on the cab.

I would say a bogner cab, but those are pricey. An avatar 4x12 is a good choice if looking for a cheaper new solution. A used mesa cab is also a great option. You can save big money buying used.

Elpelotero said:
I would say a bogner cab, but those are pricey. An avatar 4x12 is a good choice if looking for a cheaper new solution. A used mesa cab is also a great option. You can save big money buying used.

i just want somethin with vintage 30's on the cheap. how do avatars sound?

I don't know how ENGL prices are near you, but they sound tight and have quite a lot of low end as well. A little less characteristic (smooth) than Bogners with V30's, but the same range of sound it seems.

Kupke said:
I don't know how ENGL prices are near you, but they sound tight and have quite a lot of low end as well. A little less characteristic (smooth) than Bogners with V30's, but the same range of sound it seems.

+1 For the Engl cabinets. If you are based in Europe they will be alot cheaper than a Mesa cab.

The Bogner 2x12 OS almost sounds like a 4x12 in depth, and it's a tad cheaper than 4x12's and also a lot lighter. Might be worth a look. I know I liked the Bogner more than the Engl cab, but i'm talking purely 2x12's here.

room1.jpg

I like my VHT a tad bit more than my buddy's Recto cab......Scored it off craigslist for $300, so if you dont mind buying used there are some great deals out there ya just got to keep your eyes open!

Those oversized bogner 2x12 cabs do sound huge also!
I hear really good things about the Avatar stuff !

@ mindseye:

A bit off-topic but, is your head's grille a custom job? Looks sweet!

I've seen very little complaints on this board for Avatar cabs. I'd definitely go 4x12. If you do, got to Celestian.com and review the Articles on breaking in a speaker on Dr. Decimal.

Another option would be a used Mesa. You know one thing I've found is Mesa shops, GC, Sam Ash will get a Mesa cab used and mark it $699 but if you try and sell one out right, no one wants one for more than $500. Look on Craigslist in every major city within a 4 hour radius of your home.

I wouldn't rule out a Marshal 1960 AV or BV. The build quality is not as good as Mesa, but they are even cheaper than Mesa used and a decent cab

...Oh and post a video of the search, so I can laugh my *** off again!

metallicat said:
and not including marshall i don't like the sound of those. yeah i know i'm picky. but i'm trying to save alittle money on the cab.

What? How can you make a blanket statement like that. What is it exactly that you do not like about the Marshall sound? Could it be, hmmm, the particular speakers in certain models?

mindseye said:
I like my VHT a tad bit more than my buddy's Recto cab......Scored it off craigslist for $300, so if you dont mind buying used there are some great deals out there ya just got to keep your eyes open!

Those oversized bogner 2x12 cabs do sound huge also!
I hear really good things about the Avatar stuff !

+1 on the VHT..... i like both the fat bottom cabs and the deliverence cabs... the fat bottom because its super tight and never farts with any amp.... and the deliverence because its slightly looser which i think compliments the rectos very nicely..... either way VHT makes killer cabs but are a bit pricey new.... you can score a used one for under 500 if your patient

for something a little more affordable you may want to look at veretone cabs (www.veretone.com).... this guy used to supply fender and hiwatt with the unloaded cabs before they went to cheaper foreign builders..... from what i heard his cabs are more similar to mesa cabs than avatar or lupo..... he only sells cabs unloaded but you can score an unloaded cab for under 250 and if your a little handy with speaker installation you basically have a customized cab with your choice speakers for under 500 for a brand new cab.... basson is another company that makes killer cabs that are a little more affordable (atleast they were when i bought mine)... they sound and look killer

you also may want to look in something like a genz benz gflex.... they push air like a 4x12 and have an amazing low end.... you can score one of those used of ebay or CL for around 300-350

Back