Best metal settings on a Single recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kavnsted

Reaction score
I just got my single recto. I'm having a hard time finding the correct settings for hardcore metal. I need and awesome lead sound with lots of balls and tone. I use ESP guitars, EMG 81's exclusively. Standard B-tuning.

Has anyone good any good suggestions? I find it harder to find the right tone on MESA's, than any other amps out there. But boy, when you find it, it ROCKS!

Hope someone has a kickass setiing they are willing to share with another MESA lover

Put your
Gain at about 2 or 3 oclock,
Treble at about 1 oclock,
Mids at 10 oclock,
bass at 9 or 10 oclock,
Presence at about 1 oclock,
Master volume around 10 oclock

and your output where you ever your want for volume. Also have it modern for this setting.

You can also try Vintage mode...run the gain pretty high, probably 3 oclock and higher, and run your presence almost all the way up, and keep your eq's about the same as the other.

ch2-modern
pre-1
bass2
mid 8
tre 1
gain 2
master11
output9
had an eq in the loop too, all oclock settings

For metal on the single rec, you gotta get a EQ (booster helps too). I set almost everything at noon on the amp (cept pres at 2) and use my MXR 10 band to adjust the eq from there. Most important thing for that modern metal tightness and punch is to drop your 250hz range and boost your 125hz range, this will drop the loose bass and add in a tighter one =). Hope that helps. [/quote]

Is there a particular band you can give? I mean, modern harcore metal has a lot of variance (IMHO), and my setting may not sound that impressive to you, or might just not be what you had in mind.

Also, which tubes are you using? 34 or 6L6?

I'm using Kt77's and Doug's preamp tube set. This tube combo changed my amp around 180' from the stock mesa tubes. Gave it so much more punch, tightness and clarity. I guess I was trying to get more Killswitch type tones with the EQ I posted, but I think "most" (maybe not for tool type prog. metal) metal will need that drop in 250 and boost in 125 to get a tight bass for the palm mutes. I'm also getting a lordovchoas "murder" modded SD-1 as a boost soon, will let you know how that works out!

drummerboy7816 said:
.... I'm also getting a lordovchoas "murder" modded SD-1 as a boost soon, will let you know how that works out!

I'm confused. Are you going to get the "bloody murder" pedal. Or the Chaos mod SD-1? I only ask because the Bloody Murder sounds interesting :twisted:

Edit: My settings are very similar to Turumbar82

IMO, getting a tight sound with a recto (in B standard :shock:) is going to be quite difficult.

What cab are you using?

TTT for a subject I want to know about as I'm conidering going with a Solo 50 and 2x12 Mesa cab....in place of the DR and full cab.

I've got a rectoverb head and I get a much ,much tighter sound with my 7 (tuned to B standard) on vintage mode than I do on modern.
I've also got an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and a modded SD-1 in front and I finally (after 3 months) found the 7 string tone I was looking for.

I like using Modern when I use my 6 stringers (tuned standard) but my 7 turns to mush on modern.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
IMO, getting a tight sound with a recto (in B standard :shock:) is going to be quite difficult.

What cab are you using?

it is not difficult to get a recto tight. an eq pedal or a od in front. tighten things up superbly. keep the bass down and turn up the mids. metal heaven

Back