Best LSS speaker replacement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmontgomery

Reaction score
I really love my LSS but it is a bit dark. I'm thinking of buying a replacement speaker to brighten things up. Reading thru the posts the Celestion Gold seems to be the favorite. Are there any other recomendations before I shell out $300 on the gold?

Yeah, the C-90 is kind of dark. That means just about any thing will be brighter. So if you don't have or want to drop $300 on the Gold, you could drop any cheap Eminence, Celestron in there. Weber and WGS have various knockoffs including low wattage alnico's.

I'm wanting a ceramic mag speaker with characteristics similar to the Celestion blue. Eminence should have one, but I don't know which model I'm looking for. Maybe a Scumback.

Weber has the Blue dog, I have the 50w ceramic. LOL It's in my sig. I'm not sure which Eminence is the blue knockoff. The Celestion Gold is the popular one around here for the LSS. Anyone care to chime in on a good affordable alternative.

I would also chime in that the WGS Blackhawk is a great inexpensive alternative to the Gold.

Weber also makes some very good speakers and I love Tone Tubby speakers personally. The ceramic 40/40 speaker is great imo. If you think you might need even more highs, TT makes other speakers with extended highs.

jmontgomery said:
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a Gold. I'll report back later.

That's one expensive bullet! :lol:

If it ends up not being to your liking, and you go back to square one, I would echo the recommendation upthread of the Weber Blue Dog - I also have a 50w ceramic, paired with a Weber Silver Bell, and it's a wonderful speaker. Or the Eminence Red Fang is their 50 watt version of the Celestion Blue.

I sold a couple pedals so it wasn't to expensive. I'll sell the MC90 to recoup the rest. That's how I justified it anyways.

Well, I'm glad to report that the Celestion Golds a keeper. This speaker is made for this amp. Mesa should have Celestion make them an alnico Black Shadow model of this speaker.

jmontgomery said:
Well, I'm glad to report that the Celestion Golds a keeper. This speaker is made for this amp. Mesa should have Celestion make them an alnico Black Shadow model of this speaker.

Nice. I'm delighted with my LSS (completely stock) clean channel, but I find the crunch channel to be a bit dark and only really useful for leads: how does the Gold work with Channel 2?

I've only had about an hour on it but channel 2 sounds really good. Before the amp was to dark when the crunch was dialed in. Now it sounds great. This speaker really brings out the highs. To me it sounds even across the spectrum.

I'm glad you're liking the gold. I was debating the same thing and also found something from Austin Speaker Works. Their stuff sounds good but it is equally expensive to the golds. I ended up getting a avatar 4x12 cab with the hellatone mix of speakers. It sounds great for what I do; blues and classic rock.

i use a greenback in an LSS and like it a lot

when carrying cabs, it really shines into a closeback 2x12 with greenbacks

watch wattage but to me well worth it

Hey Benjamin and Plan-x,

How do you guys like the Blue Dog Ceramic? Can you describe what voice it brings to the table ...and what it does differently from Mesa's Celestion? I have a 5:25 with a Weber 10V (which I like much better than the stock E50), and will soon be pairing the combo amp with a 112 cab and I'm thinking of the Blue Dog ceramic 50w. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this speaker ...Thanks!!!

Edward

Well, keep in mind that my experience will be slightly different to some, because mine has the "pre-Rola" doping, i.e. the heaviest dope Weber offers. Mine still has a good amount of high-end chime, and a big extended low end that refuses to get flabby. Paired with a (lightly doped) Silver Bell in my 2x12 pine cab, it can handle anything from twangy surfy stuff to surprisingly heavy rock - I can do 80s thrash through this cab with my Mesa or Blackstar easily.

I probably would not have chosen this speaker with this heavy a dope for the lone speaker in a combo.

Latest posts

Back