Best kept secret:Mark III cleans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EOengineer

Reaction score
So, having spent the better part of a month working with my blue stripe simul class combo, I've really come to love this amps clean tone. I'm not sure what everyone else is getting, but when I run the clean volume 1 (gain) up above 7, I get a really great fender deluxe type pushed clean that responds amazingly well to picking dynamics and volume knob changes.

For all the praise this amp gets for its crunch and lead tones, I'm shocked I don't see more chatter about the clean channel. This is with a Les Paul too. I'm building a strat that should be don't in a month, and I'm anxious to see what kinda glass and spank I can pull out of that clean channel.

MrMarkIII said:
Ssssh! Everyone will want one!

8) :wink:

I guess we're used to all the *** kicking it produces!
If you have a tele laying around, or can borrow one...watch out!
Also, totally maxing out Volume 1 with humbuckers produces some nice touch overdrive! I got the perfect Link Wray "Rumble" tone the other day with one of my Ibanezes!

SonicProvocateur said:
MrMarkIII said:

Also, totally maxing out Volume 1 with humbuckers produces some nice touch overdrive! I got the perfect Link Wray "Rumble" tone the other day with one of my Ibanezes!

This was what really drove me to post about it. I'm using a lawsuit burny les Paul through the clean channel with the clean input volume cranked to 10, and it's pretty magical. It's a super responsive OD that compresses and sings when I dig in, and does a good job of staying glassy with the set neck and humbuckers.

In short, this amp is the balls.

EOengineer said:
SonicProvocateur said:
MrMarkIII said:

This was what really drove me to post about it. I'm using a lawsuit burny les Paul through the clean channel with the clean input volume cranked to 10, and it's pretty magical. It's a super responsive OD that compresses and sings when I dig in, and does a good job of staying glassy with the set neck and humbuckers.

In short, this amp is the balls.

When you put a clean boost out front, you can turn Volume 1 down to around 7-8 (lead drive to around 3-4) and have a 6-channel amp with GREAT BIG BALLS. :twisted:

That is something I'm going to try soon. I have a few home brewed boosts, EQs, and fuzz faces that I'm interested to try through a slightly overdriven clean channel. I'm ESPECIALLY interesting in trying my strat through one of my germanium fuzzfaces. I'm anticipating some interesting results.

I just caught this, but I've been using this to pull out some of the Eric Johnson tones. I think it's as close as it gets without actually using a Twin Reverb.

I keep my volume down at 4 but use a TS-9 to push that channel. That gives me flexibility in all 3 channels. Otherwise, hell yeah CH1 pushed totally rocks!! 8) Plug an old LP Junior or a PRS SE One into that and you may just have to change your pants. :D

It's great to see a new MkIII player enjoy his amp so much. This is one of the best kept amp secrets on the planet.

I was just appreciating this today, as I wailed (well, what qualifies for "wailed" given my chops, at any rate) through the R1 channel of my Mark III with the neck pickup on my LP. Gorgeous, especially with just a touch of 'verb.

Back