Best guitar with LSC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauliegtr

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first post to the board. I just got my first Mesa (LSC 1X12). Its been great. I had a few tube problems, but Mesa took care of it for me. I have been looking at purchasing either a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Fender Strat (either EJ or Amer. Dlx). I have been leaning towards the deeper sounds of the paul, but I have heard that it sounds really muddy from a lot of people on the LSC and that the strat single coils sound better. I was wondering if anyone has experiences with the LSC and a Gibson Paul?

I primarily play a my LSC (1x12) with a Jackson Soloist SLSMG.
With the stock pickups (passive EMGs H1 or H3 I think) and stock tubes I got mud.

Then I switched to higher quality tubes and a world of differnce for the better.

Then I swithced to higher quality pickups Seymour Duncan Custom5 and PEarly Gates and I am so impressed words cannot describe. I also play a Strat through it with Lace Sensor which sounds great as well.

I'd say either will suit you well. The LSC is not as sensitive to the hotter signal between passive singles or duals like my Fender is so that shouldn't be a concern.

The Am Dlx strats have the S1 switching which gives you both clean & articulate single-coil sounds & the fatter mids of the humbuckers.

i have this combo & i'm quite pleased.

I play an American Deluxe Stratocaster and a PRS McCarty through the LSC and they both sounds great through the amp. The PRS McCarty sounds very much like a vintage Les Paul. I have also played a Telecaster through it and that also sounded fantastic.

My opinion is that pretty much any guitar will sound good through the LSC. It's just a matter of dialing the amp in properly. To reduce the mud on the distortion channel turn the Mid's down to around the 9:00 area and put the bass know below 12:00. Then dial in the right amount of Treble and Presence.

I have my LSC setup so that it sounds good with my Strat and my PRS without having to change the dials.

thanks for the replies... i really need to try them out, but the closest place with pauls and boogies is 3 hours away.......

i was kinda doubtful hearing that the pauls didnt sound good, but i wasnt sure.

Hey pauliegtr,
While you're trying out guitars, try a Fender Strat HSS with S-1 switching.
It'll give you both Strat single coil tones, as well as, thicker tones from the Humbucker. It's not a Les Paul, but will give you a lot of versatility.

It may or may not be for you, but it doesn't hurt to at least try one to see.

Hey pauliegtr,
While you're trying out guitars, try a Fender Strat HSS with S-1 switching.
It'll give you both Strat single coil tones, as well as, thicker tones from the Humbucker. It's not a Les Paul, but will give you a lot of versatility.

It may or may not be for you, but it doesn't hurt to at least try one to see.

true i had not thought about it. i heard the s-1 emulates humbuckers pretty well too.

It gives you a lot of different tones. Again, it is not a Les Paul, but it does give you a lot of options. The bridge pickup is a humbucker, so you can get both single and humbucker tones.

I have S-1 switching on both my HSS and on an American Deluxe Telecaster. I love them both and would be really hard pressed to get rid of either.

It all boils down to what you like personally and what works best for the type of music that you play. Good luck!

The simple answer is a guitar that will offer the versatility of going from a Stratty sound to that of a Les Paul! Umm, a Paul Reed Smith will get ya there, and more! I'd suggest a CE24! They're maple, bolt-on neck'd guitar, with a mahogany body, and maple cap! Best trem in the biz! At least try one!

Parker Fly Mojo sounds great with both LSS and LSC - tappable Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pups plus piezo.

If you want to read about using the EJ Strat with a Lone Star, you can find that in our review of the amp:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0706_MesaBoogieLoneStar.php

Well for me its a strat with EMG 85 that makes the dirty channel scream like a bogner shiva and SLV single coils that make it sound like you have a fat boost in front. Overall I have vintage strats, an eric johnson and this guitar smokes them all as it makes the lonestar just flat out sound like it has a turbo charger in it

Back