best guitar cable

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allcountyfair

Reaction score
What is the best guitar cable you guys have had? I'm looking for a heavy duty one that wont tangle and twist so easily as my current one. Any suggestions?

Zaolla Silver Core Cables. You really have to check these out! I've a/b'd these with other high end cables (Monster, George L's etc...) and these allow such a flat and broad signal through to your amp. They are pricey but if you want the best, look no further.

I make my own with Mogami 2425 (?) and neutrik connectors. I like them slightly more than the various monsters I have lying around... and it's damned cheap.

I use an Excalibur cord and havae been using it for 13 years, 8 of which I have been gigging heavily with. I will never use another cord.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PRO-XG20.html#

Another vote for Planet Waves. It has a little switch built into the body so you can unplug it without "popping" your amp. I switch guitars frequently during a gig and its nice to hit a button, unplug, swap with no worries.

I'd say half of all the Planet Waves cables I've owned have broken in a short space of time so my vote is definately not with them. The one that's lasted the longest? A Radio Shack cable that I've had since i started playing about 7 years ago. It's still going strong.

You can ask 50 people this question, and you'll get 50 different answers!

So, I'll add my two cents: I just upgraded a few months back to Sommer Spirit cables. My clarity is unbelievable! I was using Whirlwind Leaders, but the Sommer's got Whirlwind beat!

Get them from Lava Cable - tell Mark I sent ya'!

I've had my Whirlwind Leader for almost 20 yrs and still the only cable that I will use between my guitar and amp. Unbreakable.

The tone from the cable depends on capacitance and inductance, but mostly on capacitance. The fatter cables have lower capacitance and less tone suck. The rest of the promises are just marketing, "oxygen free" etc. -- it is all snake oil.

In my experience, all of the high end cables sound good, and you cannot hear or measure the difference among most of them. Personally, I will not waste my money on a super expensive cable unless it has bullet-proof connectors or a lifetime warranty or something else going for it. I even hesitate to buy Monster cables, which are not the most expensive around, because I think there are equal cables available at lower prices.

Mogami w/ Neutrik. Make um yourself and save big $. Done tests and they win hands down. FYI - Monster was one of the worst in our tests. HOSA was the worst.

Mogami w/ Neutrik. Where do you get these? I would like to make some cables up my self.

TIA
RS

I would just do a search on www.Google.com , www.redco.com comes to mind but you can check prices, most are about the same, and look for free shipping/no tax etc... for the best overall deal.

ive been using van damme , but as ive used it with the boogie, it picks up any movment in the cable so damned well, its shocking!

might try some whirlwind on zaolla soon

get a wireless system :) its the best...but if i had to use a cable it would be monster..thats what i use when i dont use my wireless

telestrat3105 said:
ive been using van damme , but as ive used it with the boogie, it picks up any movment in the cable so damned well, its shocking!
My Monster Cable does that too, well just the Performer 500 Rock, my cheaper studio 100's don't do this. What causes it???

-AJH

Latest posts

Back