Best El34s?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the JJ E34Ls. A bit hotter than a standard EL34, with more low end. I've had the same pair in my Dual for about 2 years, and they still sound as good as the new pair I have laying around.

SED Winged C are the best sonically (NOT the new Svetlana ones), get them from Watford Valves but specify for a Boogie. Having said that Petrucci seems to get a pretty fine sound using the Boogie STR447's !! :eek:

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
SED Winged C are the best sonically (NOT the new Svetlana ones), get them from Watford Valves but specify for a Boogie. Having said that Petrucci seems to get a pretty fine sound using the Boogie STR447's !! :eek:
how big is the difference with the svetlana ones?

The new Svetlanas are made by New Sensor who also make the Sovtek/Electro Harmonix range. They bought the rights to the name 'Svetlana' so the original Svetlanas are now called 'SED' or 'Winged C' instead. There is not much to choose between the new Svets and the Sovtek EH (aka Mesa/Boogie STR447) The original Svets or SED's (aka Mesa/ Boogie STR442) have a little more detail when pushed hard. They are also built like a tank !

i also say try out the JJE34L's...been using em in my DSL and they are pretty awesome

I like Groove Tube Tesla E34LS. They are my favorite of the EL34 style tubes. The Tesla E34LS is a very powerful tube with it's overdrive sound being creamy, but with good note definition. It seems to have a wide dynamic range compared to other tubes IMO.

Tubegear Junkie

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
The new Svetlanas are made by New Sensor who also make the Sovtek/Electro Harmonix range. They bought the rights to the name 'Svetlana' so the original Svetlanas are now called 'SED' or 'Winged C' instead. There is not much to choose between the new Svets and the Sovtek EH (aka Mesa/Boogie STR447) The original Svets or SED's (aka Mesa/ Boogie STR442) have a little more detail when pushed hard. They are also built like a tank !

tubes built like a tank? haha. I know what you mean though. Those are nice tubes.

I've always used Shuguang EL-34B-STR tubes in my Bogner and they sound very nice and rich..... and they're built like a tank. ;)

Does anyone have any comments on the reissue Mullard from Sovetek?

We tried them out when testing current production EL34's for our amp. The came in a close second followed by the SED's which up to that point were our favorite (current production). We ended up going with the TAD EL34's as they seemed to exhibit a fuller tone....and came in matched at no greater than 1ma apart per pair...by the factory. All three "brands" held up to some serious abuse...which we can't say for the EH's we tested....

The best ones I have used have been EH EL34's. I just ordered up 6 of them for my Triple Rectifier. I had em in a 5150II and they sounded killer in that too.

JJ El34l's are an incredible tube!!! I love the sound.

Electro Harmonix el34's were the worst i have tried.
--------------
just my opinions

nathan28 said:

--------------
just my opinions

Agreed! JJ el34l's rock hard!

secretsoundz said:
nathan28 said:

--------------
just my opinions

Agreed! JJ el34l's rock hard!

Interesting, I tried them in my Koch and in my Stiletto and hated t hem....thought they were dull and tubby sounding.

I'm not a JJ tubes fan.

Latest posts

Back