Best EL-84's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjlcc14

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Need to re-tube my LSS....not to worried about cost....just looking for reliability and GREAT tone!! Whats your pick for BEST EL-84's? :?:

I have had great luck with JJ EL84's from Bob at Eurotubes. If you want NOS, remember that some of the older EL84's will not fit in new amps - just check the pinout before buying.

TAD EL84's have also gotten a lot of good reviews, but I have not tried them yet.

I like/love the JJ's as far as the EL84 for my F30, really opened the amp up and gave the clean channel some chime.

i replaced mine with groove el84,s they sound a little better thats all they had in at the music store but i would like to try some jj,s el84 do they make that much difference to the sound or is it the out put of the amp more umph!

joe.h said:
i replaced mine with groove el84,s they sound a little better thats all they had in at the music store but i would like to try some jj,s el84 do they make that much difference to the sound or is it the out put of the amp more umph!

The Groove Tube EL84S is a JJ.

I'm getting some GE's. Would like some Mullards, but I think they're tooooooo much $$ at the present time. I do not think they'll go down. Waterford Values has reports on different tubes they're tested.

MasterTrax said:
I have had great luck with JJ EL84's from Bob at Eurotubes. If you want NOS, remember that some of the older EL84's will not fit in new amps - just check the pinout before buying.

TAD EL84's have also gotten a lot of good reviews, but I have not tried them yet.
What "older" EL84's wont fit what "new amps"?

In my experience...

JJ are okay, for new production.

NOS (yes, pinout can be a problem in some modern EL84 amps):
Tungsram are a fantastic mid-priced NOS choice, and my top recommendation, considering all practicalities.
I love '50s Dutch Philips (Miniwatt or Amperex) the best, but, come on, get real - no one's going to spring for those. Favorite because of clarity and natural chime factor. This would be my true top recommendation, if practical
Sylvania black-plate 6BQ5 are also fantastic, for a thicker tone emphasis. Second best "practical" recommendation
Telam (or Polam) are also an excellent bargain, if you can find them anymore
Mullard - not so interesting as the above, in my opinion. Yep, I said it :roll: But I haven't tried '50s Mullards, which I suspect are much better
'60s/'70s Dutch Philips, kinda ho-hum too
Tesla (not JJ) quite nice for bright and clear; just a titch artificial, though, compared to the the '50s Philips
RCA black-plate 6BQ5 are superb; I'd rank 'em way up there in the top 3, but they're really too rare.

That's enough for now...

- T

pjlcc14 said:
Need to re-tube my LSS....not to worried about cost....just looking for reliability and GREAT tone!! Whats your pick for BEST EL-84's? :?:

I like the tube amp doctor's version of the EL-84 . Last along time
the glass is super thick , My favorite NON N.O.S. El-84 .
They are priced great , use the 0-9 number system , try em .

I heartily recommend the Harma EL84 Retro from Watford Valves. I've been using them in my LSS for the past 8 months and think that they are wonderful. Really opens the amp up in my opinion.

More detail at:

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1954

Fox

I just gotta say, I'm new to this forum and I'm blown away by the knowledge base and resources available here on some of these threads. Not to mention I'm going to be a post ***** to get a bit of count going!!

fox5150 said:
I heartily recommend the Harma EL84 Retro from Watford Valves. I've been using them in my LSS for the past 8 months and think that they are wonderful. Really opens the amp up in my opinion.

More detail at:

Fox
Watford tests and re-brands their "Harma" tubes. Most of them have been JJ origin, but not all. I wonder who made this "Retro" EL84 for them?

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
fox5150 said:

More detail at:

Fox
Watford tests and re-brands their "Harma" tubes. Most of them have been JJ origin, but not all. I wonder who made this "Retro" EL84 for them?

- T

Not sure of their origins, but they do sound excellent. According to the website, they're the same ones that Brian May uses so I'm in good company!

I also use their matched Harma Cryo Preamp set. Usual case of "really opens the amp up, more life, etc.." I know it's all been said before, but that's certainly the effect.

Fox

fox5150 said:
Not sure of their origins, but they do sound excellent. According to the website, they're the same ones that Brian May uses so I'm in good company!

Fox
Well... they've been saying that for years, about many of their tubes :roll: I'm sure Brian played an amp with these tubes in it at one time. Not to diminish their fine quality, but Watford has been using the Brian May sales pitch for over eight years now.

Best thing is that you like them! Rock on!!!

- T

I once saw a set of Harma labeled el84's at my amp repair shop, they were relabeled Russian military tubes. The real maker of that set of tubes is Panno, designation is 6p14p-ev. Russian military stock, very heavy thick leaded glass bottles, thicker in diameter than any other el84 bottle except possibly RFT el84, rated for 5000 hours. Very beefy tone, especially the overdriven sounds. The 6p14p-ev is what I currently use in my Maverick.

Latest posts

Back