Best Cabinet for MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srf399

Reaction score
I have a MKIV widebody combo and want to get a smaller enclosed cabinet to get more bottom end chunk and growl. Wished I'd never sold my Marshall 4x12. Anyway, I'm in the same dilemma most of you are in when trying to make a decision and that is living in an area that has very little product to try out. Being an old codger I'm looking for the 1980's sound... Whitesnake, Vai, Satriani, Gillis, etc. and am looking at 3 options for my system. I'm assuming closed back and ported is the only way to go to get the most bottom end? Would like to hear all opinions.

1) 1x12 Thiele Closed back C90

2) 2x12 Rectifier with the V30's

or

3) Genz Benz 212G-Flex (I've heard really good things about these cabinets and can get one easier than I can a Mesa but I don't want to compromise if these aren't as good a Mesa cabinets.

I'm open to other suggestions as well so let me know what you think will get me to the sound I'm looking for. Also, I know that sound is subjective but still let me know what you think. Thanks.

I have never tried the Genz Benz, but if it comes between a Rectifier 2x12 and a Thiele, there is no doubt in my mind to which reigns supreme: The Thiele. My Thiele loaded with the EV 12L puts out more volume than my Avatar 2x12 ever did, along with a ton of bottom end, and a very well rounded tone.

I like the size of the thiele as well.... nice and compact. Would you run it with the combo speaker disconnected or run em both?

You can run both simultaneously. Just move the combo speaker's cable from the 8 ohm to the 4 ohm output and connect the Thiele to the other 4 ohm output.

This is my story:

I had Mark III Blue stripe combo with EV and 1x12 Thile with EV. I also had this cover band doing classics of the golden age of rock 'n' roll (70's ROCK MON ! ! !).

Other guitarist of my band bought two second hand Eminence ME12 speakers and built a 2x12 cabinet. I wasn't happy with my two EV combination and tried two Eminence ME12 speakers and two EV speakers simultaneously. And I couldn't belive my ears. The sound was so good. I called my band mates to come and listen and I traded one of my EV for Eminence. Other guys thougt that the sound was incredible too. I tested one Mark IV recently with EV and Eminence and the sound was very good.

That's my opinion of course and somebody else might thing that the sound sucks.

Does anyone know how much is one euro in canadian dollars?
:wink:

White stratocasters with rosewood fingerboard rule srf399. See my guitar: http://moodle.opitaan.fi/vg_3.jpg

Don't rub it in! LOL The guitar in my pictures was stolen in 1982 right off the stage in a club! It was my baby... a white 1961 strat. I went into depression for awhile and ended up getting my present guitar (a 1982 strat with rosewood neck). Hey another question for you equipment junkies out there. EMG active pickups.... I've always used passive pickups... I have Dimarzios in my strat right now. What are the EMG's like?

A couple of options for you to consider if you like a "brown" high gain tone with good low end.

The Theile cab is very good loaded with an Eminence Delta Pro 12A. I've tried the Theile with the C90 and EVM12L (I have two such cabs that originally came with one of each speaker). The Delta Pro is similar in punch to an EVM 12L, but with smoother highs and much lower cost. I installed the Delta Pro in both cabs. This is a 400Watt speaker. You can't break it.

Also, consider any good 4x12 with Greenbacks. I have an Avatar and Marshall 1960TV. Both sound very good, but I prefer the slighty darker sound of the Marshall.

I have the recto 4x12 and 2x12 cabs with V30s, but I rarely use them because I play in a home studio and they are brighter and higher efficiency. They sound good, but to my ears they are harder to tame.

The Thiele is great because it is easy to lug around and can take a pounding with the right speaker.

To everyone his own, about me i've tried my MarkIV short Head througth a Marshall 4x12 loaded with 2 V30's and 2 G12H-30 Celestions, 2 1x12 Mesa Boogie cabs with EV speakers, a Recto 4x12 and a Recto 2x12... for me, nothing can beat the Recto Cabs loaded with V30's.
I totally dislike EV speakers, i find them too rigid, however they are very succesfull in this forum. Celestions V30's are smoother, but be carefull, they give to me the sound i want, so it's only my point of view, and my advice is to try each cabs you can to find what suit best to you.

srf399 said:
Don't rub it in! LOL The guitar in my pictures was stolen in 1982 right off the stage in a club! It was my baby... a white 1961 strat. I went into depression for awhile and ended up getting my present guitar (a 1982 strat with rosewood neck). Hey another question for you equipment junkies out there. EMG active pickups.... I've always used passive pickups... I have Dimarzios in my strat right now. What are the EMG's like?

PLASTIC!!!!

not a fan..lol

Does anyone have a position on EarCandy?? I really dig the Buzzbomb 2X12 that I have. Been using it with the Mark IV for over a year. I got Eminence Wizards in it, and it can definitely handle the tones. It's ported and has the benefit of looking cool as well. I plug each speaker in individually, at 8 ohms, so it's a stereo thing plugged into the 4 ohm outs on the Mark IV. I also have a couple Marshall cabs with 25's that I enjoy. However, they have a totally different sound.

I have been considering getting two 1X12 cabs for better stereo separation and am currently looking into the EarCandy 1X12's called Sovereign. Comments, opinions...experience :D

www.earcandycabs.com

I have the vertical 2x12, originally had V30s. Tried a couple of combinations with G12H30, Swamp Thang, a single EV.

Just added the second EVM 12L and it really turned it into a completely different sounding cab...obviously. Much better now.

I'll keep browsing the market for a hardwood/wicker Thiele because that would look sweet under my head, but soundwise the EV loaded Recto 2x12 isn't lacking at all.

srf399 said:

I use the EMG SA set up ala David Gilmore in my 89 Strat and love it. A tad less top end glass but Zero noise and hum. The EMG 89 is a super cool bridge choice as it can sound like either the EMG 85 or an SA. To be more specific check out Gilmore and Lukather.

In the neck position I have the 1961 bridge pickup that was in my 61 strat that was stolen. It was out at the time I was trying another pickup. It sounds amazing and it will not be taken out as it is loud and smooth with just a little glassyness.

The middle pickup is a Dimarzio Tone Zone

oppps...hit the wrong button... as I was saying.. my middle pickup is a Dimarzio Tone Zone S

It is okay... that's about it

The bridge pickup is the one I'm thinking of replacing.... All I know about it was that Schecter made it in the early 80's and it is high output. I tried Duncan's and Bill Lawrence's back then and they were weak compared to this pickup... I had it in to compensate for a weak amp. I'm thinking of the Dimarzio Breed (neck) pickup to replace it. I like the clips on the Dimarzio site (for what they're worth) guitar...amp...player...strings...picks...setup....cords used...etc. all change the sound. Has anyone tried the Dimarzio Breed pickup? They are getting really good reviews on Harmony Central LOL as if that matters. I'm into the Vai/Satriani/Johnson sound. I like the idea of being able to split the coil and get a single coil strat sound as well... I never did this with my current pickup cause when I installed it years ago I was not into a thin sound.

Back