Best cab/speaker for LSC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASBerklee12

Reaction score
Hey guess, just had my LSC modded to a head (not quite a piglett, because I'm using a Mesa head shell), and I'm selling the original frame that's been converted to a cab, seen here:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48389
The reason I'm selling it is the same reason I converted to a head: I live in Boston, and going around with two small objects is much easier than one big one. With the head and current "cab," my set-up is one small and one large object, so it kind of defeats the purpose. I need a smaller 1x12 cab.
I've been looking at the LS 1x12 23 cab, Fredas, etc...and I already like the C90, but I feel I could do better. I know there's a lot of info out there, but there's too much, so I thought I'd set up a more concentrated thread for my purposes.
My needs: Open back or ported, though I think I like open back more. I play mainly jazz and rock, and I use a 335 and a Schecter USA custom shop, which is basically a PRS 24 with a stop tail and an ebony fretboard. In terms of tone, I'm going for a Jimmy Herring/Trey Anastasio/Robben Ford/Andy Timmons (of course) sound. Thick, creamy, enough gain for beautiful feedback but not enough to get messy. I use a BB Preamp or TS808 for a little extra grind. Reeder mod #1 is most likely coming soon.
I've used V30s before (in a closed-back only), and I'm usually not a fan, because they're a bit TOO much on that mid-hump. The C90 is nice, but I feel a bit...for lack of a better word, "country" sounding, especially on the cleans.
Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.
Smitty

I just re-purchased a new LSC 2x12 combo and swapped out the stock C90s for a Scumback H75 100 Watter and a Celestion V30. That combo sounds great clean and overdriven. I don't have the muddy/boomy bass most people complain about now in either channels.

JAZZGEAR said:
I just re-purchased a new LSC 2x12 combo and swapped out the stock C90s for a Scumback H75 100 Watter and a Celestion V30. That combo sounds great clean and overdriven. I don't have the muddy/boomy bass most people complain about now in either channels.
Now that sounds interesting. :D

plan-x said:
JAZZGEAR said:
Now that sounds interesting. :D

I think I can get it even better by swapping out the v30 for a scumback M75. From what i hear H75/M75 together are like peanut butter n jelly. Plus the M75 will certainly reduce the bass content even further.

What about for a 1x12? I can't do anything bigger because I'm going to have to take my amp on the subway and in taxis and stuff. The head is a bit heavy as it is...

Not sure that this forum has deemed any 1x12 King. Speaker for that matter as well. djw tried the Freda and went back to an oversized LSC cab. The C-90 is tough to beat also. Something like the Wizard, Weber California. Charles Reeder started reconditioning old C 70/80's (?) after trying many speakers. Overall, the cab design will yield the best results. Something like the Freda or a Thiele will make you sound bigger. An open back in a standard 1x12 will sound weak. Closed back will do better, a front ported design will do even better. Combine it with an oversized cab for the best results.

Great, thanks guys!
I think I've come up with a solution to my problem.
Too me, an oversized 1x12 (open or closed) just sounds very flabby and sort of ridiculous. A standard 1x12 is a little wimpy, so I need more.
I think I'm going to go with a Freda 2x10 with a mixture of speakers. 10" seem to have a faster response and a slightly tighter bass, and Freda's are ported, so it's perfect.
Thoughts?

The problem I've had with Thiele cabs is that if used alone, there's not much of a spread of the sound; move too far to the left or right of the cab and you can;t hear yourself.

I like my Freda 1x12s. But I did go back to the Mesa 1x12 LS widebody, at least for me the vibe seems more appropriate. I like the openness, and don't really need the crushing low-end density of a closed-back cab. But I hear ya. If you aren't really into the open-back thing, but want a little more dispersal than a straight closed-back, then a Thiele style ported cab is a great option. I really like the looks of those 2x10s that Freda makes, I'd say that's a good choice. Looking forward to your report.

JAZZGEAR said:
I think I can get it even better by swapping out the v30 for a scumback M75. From what i hear H75/M75 together are like peanut butter n jelly. Plus the M75 will certainly reduce the bass content even further.

Never heard the M75s, but my G12M-25 4x12 has WAY more bottom end than my V30 4x12 (both Orange).

Latest posts

Back