Best 2X12 for a Mark IV shorty head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetdriver

Reaction score
Thoughts?

Mesa Recto, Traditional, Marshall, Avatar, Port City, Genz Benz...???

Thanks!

Yeah, two thieles is blistering with a Mark IV. I stacked mine coz the bottom end was overwhelming with them side by side. It makes for a killer mini rig. It may be mini but it is a mammoth when it comes to volume and tone!

MusicManJP6 said:
Yeah, two thieles is blistering with a Mark IV. I stacked mine coz the bottom end was overwhelming with them side by side. It makes for a killer mini rig. It may be mini but it is a mammoth when it comes to volume and tone!

Hey, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. Are your theiles with the EV's or C90's?

The cabs I'm currently using aren't that great, but I've been experiencing a lack of bass with my Mark IV.

At home it sounds fine, but at Rehearshal it's a bit reedy and thin. Cuts like a mofo though!

Perhaps I just need to re-adjust my settings. Does anyone else find a huge difference when they have the Mark on 1 vs. 2-3?

Currently I'm considering a Recto vert 2x12 (Sounded GREAT in the store), Freda Live 2x12, and now these theiles sound like an option. I'm in that situation where I want a BIG sound without the size and weight. Is it possible?

NuSkoolTone said:
MusicManJP6 said:

I'm in that situation where I want a BIG sound without the size and weight. Is it possible?

for that, EV loaded thieles are the only way to go . . . 8)

Like russ mentioned above, I think you should go with an old 2x12 halfback. Get an EVM 12L in the bottom and a C90 in the top. You can find them relatively cheap too! Goodluck 8)

The biggest sound without the size and weight is definitely going to be the thieles. Ported cabs have the best bass response. Thieles paired with the Mark's tight bottom end is euphoria when you use the V shape EQ on the GEQ of the Mark IV in the Lead channel (to push the bottom end and cut the mids a bit). I have an EV loaded thiele (I used to put it on the bottom of the 'mini stack') and a C90 loaded thiele. They are both very similar sounding speakers, but the EV is the purest and most transparent. They work well together though! I'd vote dual thieles for what you need. If you buy them used, they will cost you as much as a new recto cab, but the portability and tone is unmatched!

Just a teaser:

100_1179.jpg

Dual thieles stacked w/ the Mark IV for a killer mini rig. I don't have the MIV anymore. Just traded it for a Roadster head and I'm hoping it sounds just as good with the thieles...

I would say all the Mesa 212s are exceptionally well built, but lots love the halfback 212 vertical. But whether you get that or the horizontal recto 212, I would definitely vote for an EVM and MC90 combo. The two together are powerful, punchy, yet beautiful and sweet. There is simply nothing like the focused power and clarity of the orig EVM, and the warmth and smooth mids of the MC90 are a perfect compliment ...these two are one of the best combinations of speakers, IMHO.

Edward

The halfback 2x12 is ported in the bottom and can be sealed up top if you so desire as opposed to the open back top. I think gts provided us with some pics of a ported upper in an old halfback that was modded.

I really like the best of both worlds, one thiele and one open back, both EV loaded: 8)

MarkIIIeCabs001.jpg

the thiele gives you the thump, bass and focus and the open the "airiness"and spreads the sound in the room. 8)

Vigo, that 2 cab setup is basically the halfback. I will have to post up a pic of a Mark IV sitting on top of a halfback 2x12. I bet that Mark III rig sounds great.

dodger916 said:
Do you know if the Gflex is built to Thiele specs concerning cabinet volume, etc??

It would be interesting considering that Genz Benz chooses to load that cab with G12T-75's.

Russ said:
Vigo, that 2 cab setup is basically the halfback. I will have to post up a pic of a Mark IV sitting on top of a halfback 2x12. I bet that Mark III rig sounds great.

yeah, they're pretty much the same, but the halfback cames with a MC90 on top dont?? (or the Vintage 50 in the older models), hows the config on yours??

oh yes Russ, this lil rig sure sounds good, the flexibility and portability are also unbeatable 8) mine Stiletto through those cabs do sound awesome also!

Russ said:

Yes, "basically" the halfback, but not quite. The thiele as everyone knows is a tuned port, which IMHO yields an amazing amount of tight, controlled bass from a very small cab, easily less than half the 212 halfback cabinet's size. And again, IMHO, I'd rather transport 2 112 cabs than a single 212 ...but maybe that's just me :)

BTW, the open-back and Thiele combo is exactly what I love so much about my setup (albeit with an MC90 in a combo amp with the EVM-Thiele sitting atop): the open spkr fills the space and adds a fuller mid-voice to the room while the Thiele covers the bottom with serious authority. Nice rig!!

Edward

[/quote]
the open spkr fills the space and adds a fuller mid-voice to the room while the Thiele covers the bottom with serious authority. Nice rig!!

Edward[/quote]

Exactly!! 8)

I'd been running the EVM in the combo with an EVM loaded Thiele. Aside from being able to separate the two I get very similar sound from the 2x12 that is loaded with EVM top and bottom. Because I cannot A/B the two setups (the EVM's being moved to load each setup), I can only say that the sound is pretty close. The only advantage being that I can move my head around and from cabinet to cabinet easier. The combo loaded with the EVM was just way too heavy. The 2x12 is pretty heavy though with the EVM's in it. Fortunately, it has casters and can be rolled around. There again, I have no problem schlepping 4x12's up and down the stairs provided they are not loaded with EVM's. The Traditional cab loaded with V30's is probably the heaviest cab I have yet to carry up and down the stairs. That one is pretty heavy. I couldn't imagine trying to carry an Oversized loaded with EVM's. The little Halfback was pretty heavy even loaded with the 50's that were in it. I haven't tried to lug it down the stairs since I changed them out for the EVM's.

Musicman I'm so jealous of your guitars. Have you tried any JP7's by any chance, if so how do they play?

As for the 2x12, I love my Recto Cab so try that if you can!

hey fpoon: I love the 7 strings, but I don't have any need for a 7th string in a cover band at the moment. I also opted for piezo-less JPs coz I don't have a need for that option. Anyway, they all play pretty good. The JPs play the best, of course. They are just phenomenal guitars!! The Ibanez is my newest addition and I'm thinking another pickup swap will help me like it a little better...

Latest posts

Back