Been using JJ e34L's in my triple rec...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradXXX

Reaction score
And I've actually really enjoyed the sound. More of a crunch, and less muddy low end.

But one thing I have noticed, is that my amp seems to get a lot hotter now (like, physically really hot to the touch) compared to before. Is it normal for my head to get warmer with these tubes vs. the old 6l6's or kt66/88's I used to use?

Is this something that happens when running my head in the el34 mode vs. the 6l6 mode?

I've been running it like this for a while and I haven't had any problems yet, but I just want to make sure that isn't a bad thing because I don't want my head to get messed up, or for something bad to happen when playing a show.

-Brad

i was talking to my mesa guy today, he was saying something how mesa tubes are perfectly biased to the amp, and other tubes might not be perfectly matched, he said whenever you re-tube it with another brand to take it in and get the bias checked

When you replace power tubes you have to use either M/B tubes or tubes that are within M/B specs. You can specify this from most good dealers. If you didn't specify this and the tubes aren't within M/B specs, you could cause damage and get an inferior sound :(

No, I did specify it was for a Triple Rectifier, and JJ said the set they would send me would be perfect for my triple rec. So that's not the issue. The sound I've been getting is great. My amp just seems like it gets really hot now. Like really hot, all the knobs even get hot after a while.

It shouldn't get much hotter if it all than with the original M/B tubes, I'd query it with them asap, coz you're gonna have an expensive repair bill if it's getting that hot !!

I say lay the amp on its back and grilled up some hot ham and cheese samiches on the diamond plate! lol

Back