BBE Sonic Maximizer + Tube Amps=?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluff191

Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased a BBE Sonic Stomp (same as a Maximizer) when I first got my Recto and used it in front of the amp, and while there was a small improvement (from what I remember), the difference was not anything to call home about. So I got rid of it.

Maybe this has something to do with running minimal effects and using Duncan active pickups? I also ran it in the loop for a brief time and though the Maximizer took something away from the richness of the sound.

My question is this: Who runs one in their rig and how? I have looked at lots of pro setups and alot of guys don't actually seem to be running a Maximizer at all.

I understand what they do, and have used one in the studio, but am just wondering am I crazy for not using one in a band setting?

Tried it...twice....sold it both times. Hated what it did to the sound. It works well on lower end amps IMO...but it ruins a Mesa.

Eric

I don't like them. Made the tone sound artificial to me. Dan Donegan from Disturbed uses (used) them. If you use one, I'd stick it in the loop.

I had one too and I used it in the loop of my Single Recto, then a Peavey 5150, and my ENGL preamp. I always that they did more in the loop than in front. Like Eric said, they work well with low end amps. Mine sounded good with my digitech rp250 and Crate Powerblock. It helped that cheap *** rig a lot. It really does ruin the sound of a good amp.

I love mine rack 462. I use it with mesa roadster just before poweramp section and it gives more kick, tightens the lows, I leave treble neutral. Only the cleans I find better bypassed since BBE steals some midrange. But for recto drive it's perfect!

used on with my roadster all it seemed to do was boost the volume a tad and make the amp sound kind of digital and lifeless

I have a B52 2x12 combo amp, which was my first amplifier.. the BBE in the loop makes that $500 amp sound like a $2000 amp, and even better when you plug the amp into a good 4x12. I have also used it with my fathers Roland Jazz Choruses (also in the loop). It makes their stellar clean tones even better.

I don't like it that much with my Road King.. don't really know why. Running it with a PA is also awesome. Really helps your vocals sound professional, especially if your PA isn't top notch. I'll probably keep mine forever.. it has a lot of usefulness.

I had one once. Used it for a couple months in the loop. Thought it improved the sound a bit, but found a good EQ was much more effective.

Loved my 882i in the FX loop (not before, as already stated).

No extreme settings. Sounds a lot like a good EQ - tightens up a crunch sound, almost like adding another channel. It worked for me because I run a pretty large rack rig, so I could swap it in and out easily. If I had to choose to leave it on or off with anything else in the loop I'd probably take it out and just use it for studio work on recordings.

I use the 482i when running my 20/20 because it adds thickness to a midrange heavy power amp but not when running the 2:fifty. The guys running sound always hate 'em the second they see it. "You plan on using that?" You'll find that folk are REALLY divided on it. I think its a piece of gear that has it's place for very specific things but not for most and can be easily over used. I'm pretty selective as to when I punch it in and keep the levels fairly low. (esp. the process!!!!) It really helped get some of the Reeves Gabrels, ala Tin Machine, sounds down for when you're wanting an obscure cover to confuse everyone.

Latest posts

Back