BBE 482i w/ Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanexsan

Reaction score
I recently bought a BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer to use with my Dual Rectifier.
I am having trouble producing a good thick tone; I like a good amount of bass, not to much mids, enough treble to cut through the mix during a set, but overall a thick, gainy, solid sound that comes with the dual rectifier.

Right now, I can't get that sound with the 482i for some reason. I bought it to enhance my EQ and bring out the sound, but I keep getting a too crunchy, too raspy, and too trebly tone.

Can anyone give advise on how to get the sound I want???

I am running the BBE through the effects loop with the send on normal and 100% of the effect in the mix.

Any advise thatr can help is certainly welcome.

it's a phase issue due to a parallel loop, you need to mod it to series and wammo you've got what you asked for. At least that's how it worked with my nomad HD. I had the same exact issue

you dont need to mod your loop. you have to take your time and mess around with the send and return to get a good mix of the original tone with the enhanced sound. I didnt care for the sound of the maximizer alone because it was too scooped so I ran mine before my dbx 31band eq. I used the eq to boost the mids and cut out some of the low end fuzz and obnoxious high end.

But yeah its gonna take some time to get it sounding right, its alot of give and take till you get a happy medium. too much process and it sounds fake, too much bass and its mud, too much send and it sound like nothings happened at all :lol: good luck with it man :D

When you take the one wave form duplicated it but not in exactly the same time as the original it causes phase problems. The sonic stomp is a phase correction FX, bla bla bla...

My point is when the sound that bypassing the loop and the sound that's going threw the sonic stomp meet, some of the sound is out of phase with each other causing some frequencies to be canceled, or reduced depending on the FX mix. There is a similar problem any FX that has latency mostly digital stuff.

I really noticed a difference when i tired my sonic stomp on my friends pig noise with a serial loop. It made his amp sound so much better than it made mine sound. Did exactly as you described your amp doing on my amp. I mod'ded my loop and wow what a difference it made. It also caused my digital FX to sound better.

Buy a overdrive pedal: Fulltone OCD, maxon 0d-9 or ts808. I would run the bbe in the loop, i would put it in front of my amp.

Trying it in front the amp would give you a good indication of a serial mod to your loop. Personally I use one in the loop with a reverb unit. My loop is unmodded in stock parallel configuration. A little tweaking to get a good balance and now it works for me fine. However we might be tweaking for totally different tone(s). :shock:

nathan28 said:
Buy a overdrive pedal: Fulltone OCD, maxon 0d-9 or ts808. I would run the bbe in the loop, i would put it in front of my amp.

Can't put the BBE in front - impedance mismatch issue.

Why buy a good amp to use an overdrive pedal at least that's my philosophy!

I have the sonic stomp which is different than the rack version but there is no impedance problem with it in from of my amp. If you use it in front of a volume pedal like a buffer your highs don't decrease as you lower your volume. However any pedal with a buffer will give the same effect. The sonic maximizer does sound different in front of the amp than in the FX loop. The instructions i found said to put it after all the other FX, distortion the preamp makes is an FX so the FX loop is recommended placement.

here is the fx loop mod thread http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9703

From my perspective i feel the parallel loop is not all it's cracked up to be, and a serial loop works much better. That being said i build my own FX and they are all true bypass.

Oh sorry! I was a little vague! The SonicStomp works perfectly in front of the amp! The 482i won't. Sorry bout that!

nathan28 said:
I did not know that. sorry. I still recommend a overdrive pedal

My experience has been that the BBE maximizers are overkill on a guitar rig.

I would suggest that you will get much better results with a good EQ pedal.

But if you want to use it, BBE does make a sonic stomp pedal. I tried it and took it back the next day. Better yet look for an old BBE Stinger pedal on ebay. I've not tried one, but I've heard they are much better than the new ones.

I have an 07 Roadster and I use a sonic stomp in front of the amp (after a ts-9) and a 31 band rackmount in the loop and the result is tonal bliss.

I had a buddy who ran a tube screamer into a sonic then into a marshall tube amp. Best sound i've ever heard from a modern marshall!

I'm not sure about a dual rec, but the sonic stomp really helps with the darker sound of my nomad, and the touch response.

Latest posts

Back