Basswood vs. maple(He really meant to say Mahogany) bodies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get this whole negativity against basswood. John Petrucci anyone? Hello~...

~trem

trem said:
I don't get this whole negativity against basswood. John Petrucci anyone? Hello~...

~trem
Exactly, his Ernie Ball model is basswood.

There was this one member here claimed basswood sound like crap and I defend basswood saying Satriani's Chrome Boy, Vai's Monkey arm Ibanez, and even Eddie Van Halen when designing his Peavey model when he endorse with them, claimed basswood was an overlooked, underrated wood. So he wanted basswood w/ a figured maple top on his Peavey model.

But this one member insist these guitar players has to full filled their endorsement and actually have Ghost Luithers that build their guitars. :?:

I asked for the proof because I was going to scan every article that I encountered about basswood guitars. That member never responded.

Basswood has its tone characteristics as well as the other popular tonewoods. By no means its the ultimate tonewood, but I don't think there is an ultimate tonewood that covers everything.

RR said:
Russ said:
Basswood kind of sucks for tone. I much prefer Mahogany... but I much prefer the tone I have had without having a Floyd and a wafer thin neck.
You think Basswood sucks, try multi-ply plywood Kramer Focus, Charvettes (Charvel), Jacksons that flood the market during the hair bands of the 80s era especially w/ Floyd Rose and FR license.

I build guitars of many different woods. Between mahogany and basswood, and for most applications I would prefer mahogany. But basswood do get a bad rap just because its inexpensive compared to the other woods. But for ceramic magnet hi-gain pickups, you'll find in most case, a basswood guitar smooth out the harshness of ceramic pickups. Remember I said most case because someone is going dispute and say their mahogany guitar equip w/ ceramic pickups sounds great. Its ear of the beholder.

I now there's a member here that will dispute my case about basswood (its not you Russ, you've been pretty informative), but until he himself build a guitar from scratch, I'll rest my case.

I played Charvel and Jackson from that era... I no longer own them.

I also had a friend swear up and down his custom Les Paul he built was killer. I played it and was not even slightly pleased. Turns out he used an old Harmony body that was laminated ply. Talk about a dead guitar.

rabies said:
The Suhr factory is driving distance from my house (they're in Lake Elsinore).

I didn't know that. I might have to go check them out.

I didn't say or imply basswood sucked, but on my guitar would've liked to have had the mahogany model that came out later. 8) In fact, on my semi-hollow, the warmer tone quality of the wood works in it's favor. It'd be interesting to hear the difference in tone on the same model solid body guitar built from different woods.

I've heard some differences in a few acoustic guitars, but not with electrics.

Brewski said:
I didn't say or imply basswood sucked, but on my guitar would've liked to have had the mahogany model that came out later. 8) In fact, on my semi-hollow, the warmer tone quality of the wood works in it's favor. It'd be interesting to hear the difference in tone on the same model solid body guitar built from different woods.

I've heard some differences in a few acoustic guitars, but not with electrics.
For the record, all things equal, I do like mahogany over basswood. :wink:

But if I played like Vai, Satriani, or Petrucci, I would use a basswood guitar body with moderate gain pickups => Dimarzios in particular.

Talking about recycling guitars, my friend has about 6 Strat w/ locking tremolo (Charvels, Jacksons, Washburns ....) ALL are plywood guitar bodies, only one sounds decent. So there will be always be an exception.

Russ said:
rabies said:
The Suhr factory is driving distance from my house (they're in Lake Elsinore).

I didn't know that. I might have to go check them out.

If you go there, you will probably get a good tour of the plant, but you won't have an opportunity to try guitars. Check out Tone Merchants or Wild West Guitars instead. :D

RR said:
For the record, all things equal, I do like mahogany over basswood. :wink:

But if I played like Vai, Satriani, or Petrucci, I would use a basswood guitar body with moderate gain pickups => Dimarzios in particular.
Good point RR. I find that basswood bodied guitars can retain better clarity under lots of gain. Mahogany gives way more "punch" or "balls", for the lack of a better word. I like both for different sounds.

treedroppings said:
not to mention ash :mrgreen:
=> lite Swamp Ash in particular.
rabies said:
the ES-335 Dot is maple body, that sounds badass to me.
We're we talking about solid bodies?
Yup, ... ES-335, I sure love mine:
ES335.jpg

This is in no way meant as a troll and I am full aware of the stupidity of the question, but here goes;

How does the kind of wood affect the sound at all? Isn't electric pickups only registering the change in the magnetic field the strings create when picked? Active pickups would be one thing but electric?

The question came up during a music theory class, but I never got a definite answer. I figured the wood build up resonance which helps the string vibrate/oscilate/whatever get more sustain, didn't get much further before class ended then I forgot about it until now :)

Hey Fred, I'll take a stab at it. I think that the density and grain structure of the wood interact with the pickups to give you different tones. Sustain is also affected by that, as well as the components used, such as the type of bridge assembly, the nut, the neck, pickup types, and other pieces. You'll get more sustain on a hardtail than a Bigsby type of bridge. Setup, scale length, and design also play a factor in how a guitar sounds.

If it was only up to the pickups, then why wouldn't a Telecaster sound like a Les Paul? The use of different woods are not just for aesthetics.

There'll probably some better explanations forthcoming from the guys who build guitars and understand the interactions better. So, if I'm off base, I'll happily stand corrected. :D

I think you answer your own question. :wink:

Wood resonance plays a major part in the solid body guitar's tone. BUT depending how you set your amp, if you use massive gain, less you distinguish wood resonance, and less it doesn't matter what type of wood.

I remember in an interview with Joe Satriani, asking about amps and about guitar tones in general. He answered [paraphrased]:

"Funny, a dog could hear frequency beyond a human. Yet guitarists could distinguish a certain tone that's appealing to them while the normal human can't distinguish this subtly."

So it also has a lot to do with the tolerance of your hearing.

Think about a human voice singing. We could say this person sings great. This person sing awful. Not the best microphone in the world is going to help this awful singer.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but during "American Idol" auditions, these contestant has to sing acapella [msp] no effects, no background music because Paula, Simon and Randy want to hear the contestant's natural voice. No effects to enhance their voice.

Similar concept with a guitar.

Fred said:
This is in no way meant as a troll and I am full aware of the stupidity of the question, but here goes;

How does the kind of wood affect the sound at all?

I thought it was an excellent question. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.

Some guitars are built in a way that most of us would shudder at. I'm talking about a couple of pieces of masonite separated by pine, and wrapped with tape to hide the edges. Talk about cheap!
The thing is, once you hear a Danelectro, you'll recognize it right away, and some of us love that tone.

RR said:
Wood resonance plays a major part in the solid body guitar's tone. BUT depending how you set your amp, if you use massive gain, less you distinguish wood resonance, and less it doesn't matter what type of wood.

I remember in an interview with Joe Satriani, asking about amps and about guitar tones in general. He answered [paraphrased]:

"Funny, a dog could hear frequency beyond a human. Yet guitarists could distinguish a certain tone that's appealing to them while the normal human can't distinguish this subtly."

So it also has a lot to do with the tolerance of your hearing.

This is why I choose Alnico magnet pickups. Clarity is a huge factor for my sound. I like to distinguish the wood charachteristics while at the same time allow the pickups to voice as well. Owning 2 DR's allows me to put the fizz and sizzle back in the mix without making my guitar a one trick pony.

Latest posts

Back