Bass 400+ question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyoucomeagain

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Recently I bought a Bass 400+, and I noticed something :
I turn the master switch on and let the tubes warm up for 10-15 min, after when I turn on the standby switch I can hear a noise (like a bad ground noise). I opened the amp and everything seems to be ok.
Is this normal or the amp have a problem. I really don't know because it's my first tube amp ever !!!

Thanks and have a nice holiday season

Shouldn't have any noise on standby. Mines quiet as a mouse in standby.

thankyoucomeagain said:
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Recently I bought a Bass 400+, and I noticed something :
I turn the master switch on and let the tubes warm up for 10-15 min, after when I turn on the standby switch I can hear a noise (like a bad ground noise). I opened the amp and everything seems to be ok.
Is this normal or the amp have a problem. I really don't know because it's my first tube amp ever !!!

Thanks and have a nice holiday season

Not knocking you here, but if it's your first tube amp, maybe assume you don't really know what to look for inside, and just so you know, poking around in a tube amp can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. The capacitors hold high voltage and can do serious damage. It sounds like there is a problem. My opinion is take the amp to a knowledgeable repairman.

Not sure of your problem but I agree with the other poster. With the Amp off and unplugged there is enuff voltage stored in the big caps to stop your heart. Be very very careful.

Not sure of the Plate Voltage in a 400+ but think about touching something like 500 to 700 volts DC.

That amount of DC voltage will stop your heart.

If you dont know what your doing dont be poking around in there.

If you hear hum with the amp fully on turn the volume down and see if it goes away.

Your bass might be the cause of it. My mainstay is a Rickenbacker 4001, and it gives out a nice single coil buzz that sounds like a bad ground due to the lack of shielding and a solid ground. All of my other basses that have shileding in the control cavity, or active pickups are quiet as a mouse.

I have a bass 400+ - in great shape, but it has an intermittent "phhhhhhtt" or cchtssssskkkkktttt, . On stage this sucks. Any Ideas about what I should expect frrom the repair man? I'm bummed.

Also, any ideas where to get the "hanging" rubber mounts for this amp?

thanks.

Latest posts

Back