Bass 400+ - Dialing In the Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairport

Reaction score
After too many years to count playing through a late-60s Fender Bassman, I am now the proud owner of a 400+. My current band mainly plays small clubs and bars, and obviously the combination of that head with a Hartke 4x10 and 1x15 ought to be more than adequate for any playing condition I'd encounter for years to come. But I find myself constantly searching for settings that satisfy my personal taste for big, rich, solid fat lows (think Phil Lesh) and the necessity of articulate notes that are distinctive in the band mix. So far, I seem to either be too low and flubby for my bandmates' taste or too trebly and belchy for my own. So, knowing a bit about my own sonic taste, any advice the old hands here have would be appreciated!

Try using the mid shift, by pulling out the treble knob. It will help curve the over sparkly highs and the shift in mid frequency will keep your low end from getting too muddy.

Ok, that helps me as well. The instructions (but my ears?) say pulling the treble shifts it down into high mids - but through chan 1 (active) it accentuates harmonics, hmmm? I'm playing a G&L ASAT and get a mixture of growl and bubbly tar, which I love - yet I need to be able to adjust the tone quickly for venues (inside, outside, large small etc...) Post your favorite settings all - I am at:

bass 7 knob out
mid 6
treble 3 (in and out)
don't use the graphic, anyone love it?

G&L in active mode into #2 passive

Latest posts

Back