BAH, Humbug!!! Mesa Must Be Going Downhill

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSCMan

Reaction score
All this talk about Lonestar Classics with problems. Mine still smells like burning plastic a little bit every time I play it.

I guess I'm gonna have to send it to California. Hope I don't have the same experience cnumb had.

I ordered a Mojave Scorpion, today! :shock:

edit: I forgot to whine about the tube buying :x fiasco!

Wow! LSSman,

At almost a grand more for the Scorpion, I hope that it gives you what you're looking for in both reliability and tone.

I used to work for a high tech company in repair and failure analysis. When I saw the sea of units come back in, I originally thought that their product was crappy, until I got to see the number of units that were actually functioning in the field with happy customers. Happy customers are rarely heard from, but unhappy ones will tell everyone. Some of the most reliable products still have failures on occasion, and it's usually a very very small percentage of what's actually out in the field.

Sorry to hear that you your experience with Mesa has been less than Stellar, and I hope that it gets accurately diagnosed and fixed.

Even though I had a problem with my LSC and told the board about it, I truly like the amp. There is no perfect amp so I guess that is why I have been through multiple amps in the last 4 years. Because of that, I truly understand your buying the Scorpion and wish it will hit the mark for you.

I couldn't quite see if you were going to keep the LSC. Is it making odd noise or is it just the smell that is wrong?

It sounds OK but still smells like something is burning inside. Can't really tell if it's residual smell from the 2 resistors that got fried, or if something else still needs to be changed out.

Also, the Scorpion head is only about $300 more than the LSC, what with the Christmas sale they're having!

MesallicA said:
maybe there something like a little bit of plastic or dust on the tubes thats being cooked?

You did take the plastic shipping protectors off the tubes, didn't you? :D

I am on my second LSS - I had the demo for quite a while before mine arrived - and both have been winners with no issues.

Good Lord, it's not plastic on the tubes, already! :shock:

The **** thing came with a bad bias switch that didn't work when I changed it over to el34's, resulting in 2 fried resistors and a whole lot of burnt plastic stink. It went in the shop and supposedly got fixed, but I'm still smelling some burnt plastic, not to mention the occasional tube crackling that's been there from the beginning.

LSSMan,

Sorry for your aggravation.

I had "crackling" in my LSC. I had a bad tube in the reverb.

As far as the smell .............. just check one thing for me. I found on my LSC that the way Mesa routed the speaker wire it could touch the 6L6 closest to the 8 ohm output jack. I had to "tuck" it under the rear brace to keep it away from the tube otherwise it could rest right on it.

When I saw that I said "that can't be good." If Mesa had just added about 6" - 12" of length to the wire it would have stayed (hung) away from the power tube.

Anyway, just a thought.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back