Bad to Cover the top vent of a Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just setup my small rack today, and have a question....

Is at at all bad to set the rack on top of the head, covering the metal grill on top.....is that necessary for ventillation?

As the entire back of the amp is open, I can't see it causing a problem, but I wanted to check first!

Thanks!

It shouldn't pose any trouble at all. I see all these Rectos loaded in these foam packed shock rack cases. IE: JPetrucci

Or a fire extinguisher... :lol:

It should be fine. I think that the upper vent helps. I have seen guys with their upper vent melted on Marshalls. They have a screened back. I would say just don't keep your amp on too long or put a fan closeby to help vent the hot air out. This may add noise to your rig so be prepared.

I would never cover the top of any amp, it doesn't matter if the amp has vents. Do this, turn on your stove and put your a foot above the flame, now, put it a foot directly to the side of it. If physics in play at all it should be hotter above the flame. If you want to cover it get a vent as said before otherwise your just prematurely stressing the internal components of the amplifier.

^I see where you're going, but all touring musicians completely cover their amps in foam and hard cases.....no ventilation there at all....

ibanez4life SZ! said:
^I see where you're going, but all touring musicians completely cover their amps in foam and hard cases.....no ventilation there at all....
They also have money to burn.........do you? The vents are there for a reason, to cover them is not wise at all.

Why couldn't you cut the foam that is directly over the vent, and take it out? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the shock absorbing factor.

Just an idea...

My case is built that way, it has no foam above the vent but then case is fully enclosed. So theres like 2 inches of breathing room above the vent.

It has never hurt my amp.

I've had my small rack unit placed over the vent on both the RK and a Peavey 5150 mkII i had. It did no damage to the amp at all. The rack got warm but no ill effects.
Now i place the rack on the cab then the RK II on the rack, but this is purely because i don't wan't the new RK to get scuffed up on the top :)

Latest posts

Back