Back is gone at 18. Which small combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i own a little mazda rx-7...sometimes drive a pontiac grand prix.

now THERE is some out of the box thinking...tell me more about this idea.

as of right now, i am not supposed to carry any weight. no lifting period. obviously i can't not lift anything, but i try to keep to short trips and a very stable straight back...

Until your back gets more stable, have you thought about just using sometihng like a Vox Tonelab SE direct to the board/PA? They aren't tube amps, but they sound pretty good and can fool most people and have some great clean and semi distorted tones. Like I said, it's not a tube amp or even a Boogie, but you won't end up in a wheel chair prematurally carrying it around either.

Or you could get a midget or that amp monkey that we've been joking about around here to carry your stuff for you? :lol:

Ha! tele_jas, I suggested the same thing earlier on but included using the EH Tube Eq afterwards then run it into the board!

strumminsix said:
Ha! tele_jas, I suggested the same thing earlier on but included using the EH Tube Eq afterwards then run it into the board!

Oops, sorry my bad.... I should have read the whole thing, I must have skipped yours. I also second the tube EQ afterwards or atleast a tube preamp to give it some extra life. I run mine in to my Boogie V-Twin sometimes.

Either make or have made a head cab for your existing amp. Do the same with your speaker cab. If necessary make two speakers cabs with two speakers each in them.

I am getting ready to do this with my DC-5. I did pick up a 1X12" 3/4 back Mesa cab recently. This will make a nice piggy-back with better sound and reduced weight of individual components. I too have disc issues.

I purchased one of those two wheeler dollys that colapses a few years ago. That really helped. It is nice because it taks very little space when folded. I can fit it and my amp in my car. Here is a link to what I have although I purchased mine from Home Depot for about half that four or five years ago. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46460&cat=1,43456,43391

In the 60's we used to take Fender combos and cut down the existing cabs into heads with no cost for the head. We would then just build a speaker cab. Unfortunately what were used amps back then are now highly collectable if they weren't modified.

musicbox said:
Aha :idea: A little...outside the box thinking... :lol: Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

The deluxe reverb is sitting next to the Angel...pedals in the gig bag.
Does this mean you bought one on my advice, or you already had it? :D

Hey, I just turn 41 and still can lift my boogies pretty well...

Ok, out of kidding a little, sorry to hear about your back, that is a really great loss, hope you can find a better situation through excersice and yoga.

I think the ligthest mesa is probably the triaxis, out of this the best thing to do is to get a 2 wheel dolly for the future and use it to carry heavy stuff. I think the deluxe reverb may be your best bet for now of one of the rocket 44 amplifiers in a head. Hope you get better.

i actually had the reverb given to me by a friend of the family a couple months ago. i bought a voodoo labs sparkle drive to go with it, and i've been really quite happy with it.

your advice was unquestionably good. it really is a wonderful little setup for jams and small gigs.

i wonder if there was any pre-cbs stuff amoungst your 'used' amps..oy.

im going to look into the dolly.

I built myself a rear ported 2*12 with century vintage speakers. Still has quite a bit of volume, and with the rear port, it seems to have a touch more low end than my 4*12 with vintage 30s. The whole thing weighs 12kg (about 26lbs)

Why not modularize everything and put everything (I mean _everything_) on wheels? Put your head on a chassis with wheels, your amp on wheels, your cabs on wheels, etc. If you have a truck you can put a mini-lift on the back of it == no work! There's going to be a handicapped ramp ANYWHERE you go in America, too.

I'll chime in again.... I just turned 34 and I started carrying a cart in my trunk if I know I'm going to a hard load in gig or a new gig. I'll leave my amp stand (a big black box) at home to make room for the dolly/cart. I've realized that it doesn't pay to be a "tough guy" and try to carry everythng you own in one trip and it sure helps to load it up on my "Granny car" (as my band guys call it) and roll it around.

Sorry to here about you misfortune.
There have been a lot of good ideas posted so far, but if you want to keep the Blue Angel tone there are a couple of options. Convert it into a head and cab combination. Use a dolly or other device to pull the head and cab around.
I converted my Lone Star combo into a head and cab.
I went from this
CIMG0759.jpg

To this
MesaLoneStar082s.jpg

If you don’t have the tools or skills to do it yourself shoot me an email and I will work something out with you.

that my friend is just beautiful! i am assuming from your post that you put that together yourself? you should advertise on the big boards man..thats some brilliant work!

as i mentioned before, the blue angel is sadly gone. im missing it already, but the stilleto is keeping me pretty good company. when i have more money, i WILL end up getting my hands on an angel head...just a matter of time.

musicbox said:
that my friend is just beautiful! i am assuming from your post that you put that together yourself? you should advertise on the big boards man..thats some brilliant work!
Thanks,
Yes, I built the head box and the Bogner style cab. As for advertising on the big boards, not enough money in it.
Doing it for someone that needs a helping hand, no problem.:wink:
musicbox said:
as i mentioned before, the blue angel is sadly gone. im missing it already, but the stilleto is keeping me pretty good company. when i have more money, i WILL end up getting my hands on an angel head...just a matter of time.
Sorry, I missed that part of the thread. My bad :oops:

oz_mike said:
I built myself a rear ported 2*12 with century vintage speakers. Still has quite a bit of volume, and with the rear port, it seems to have a touch more low end than my 4*12 with vintage 30s. The whole thing weighs 12kg (about 26lbs)

Hi, what is your cab made of and what are the dimensions? My custom made 1x12" (close to a size of a Mesa Thiele box) made from 18 mm birch plywood weights 15 kg without the speaker in it... :shock:

Latest posts

Back