Back in the Mesa camp - what cab do I need?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MkIV

Reaction score
I went to my local music store last saturday to check out the new 2010 upgrade Dual Rectifier. Really liked the new features, but after some serious testing of all the Mesa amps in the shop I ended up buying a used Roadster.

Roadster.jpg

It sure feels good to be back in the Mesa camp again after two years playing an Egnater MOD50. I've had a lot of Mesa's during the last to decades, Cal 50+, V-Twin, 50/50, 20/20, Dual Recto (2ch), Stiletto Ace, MkIV (I think thats all) but about two years ago I decided to do some serious downscaling of my amp rig - and went for the MOD50 with an Elmwood 2x12" cab. Unfortunately I was never really satisfied with the sounds I was getting with this rig - the MOD50 just sounds a bit to polite for my personal taste.

So, what cabs are you using with your Roadsters? And what kind of music do you play with your rig?

I use mine with a Mesa Stiletto 4X12 straight cab. And yes, I play all styles of music on mine, equally as sucky...

KH Guitar Freak said:
I use mine with a Mesa Stiletto 4X12 straight cab. And yes, I play all styles of music on mine, equally as sucky...

Exactly why I love MESA, I won't ever be great, but the tone always will be 8)

If you can swing the cost, the Mills Acoustics Afterburner 4x12s open up a whole new world for Mesa amps IMO. You won't fully understand till you try it for yourself, but these cabs are not hype. They handle all the lows of a Mesa, never get muddy or harsh, and sound HUGE.

Eric

I took the Vintage 30's out of my Mesa oversized cab and put them in a Peavey cab, cause the Mesa cab is just too heavy to get down my stairs by myself. I actually dig the smaller (Stiletto-sized) cab better than the oversized.

Thinking about putting some Celestion G12T-75's for an 'X' pattern soon. Vintage 30's sound great, but are a little honky in the mid-range for my taste.

fluff191 said:
I took the Vintage 30's out of my Mesa oversized cab and put them in a Peavey cab, cause the Mesa cab is just too heavy to get down my stairs by myself. I actually dig the smaller (Stiletto-sized) cab better than the oversized.

Thinking about putting some Celestion G12T-75's for an 'X' pattern soon. Vintage 30's sound great, but are a little honky in the mid-range for my taste.

Try G12K-100s. The 75s have a bit of harshness and they flub out pretty easily, especially with high gain.

b0nkersx said:
fluff191 said:

Try G12K-100s. The 75s have a bit of harshness and they flub out pretty easily, especially with high gain.

You can also try a G12H-100.

fluff191 said:
Interesting. In all truth I was going to probably or the Warehouse Speakers HM75.

I don't know much about Warehouse Speakers, but if they sound anything like normal G12T-75s, I would stay away from them with a recto.. The K-100s can handle massive low end if you want them to, the mids are smooth and punchy but not honky or overpowering, and there's plenty of high end cut available without getting harsh/fizz a-la V30. My favorite thing about K-100s is the way they handle midrange. Scooping the mids doesn't cause your guitar to disappear, and cranking the mids gives a smooth tight punch without any honk. They're pretty aggressive and large sounding speakers, but they surprisingly handle low gain exceptionally well too.

In contrast, the 75s with rectos flub out pretty quickly, the mids are pretty dominantly scooped, and the high end is kind of harsh.

Also, G12H's are discontinued, but everyone I've talked to that has played a G12H and a G12K has said that the G12K is everything they liked about the G12H and then some.

Wellllll thanks for setting me straight on that one. I certianly would not want any flub!! 100's it is!!

They do sound good. My neighbor has one with his RKII. Its just sooooooo fucking big and heavy. Its bigger than the recto 412.
ibanez4life SZ! said:
If you can swing the cost, the Mills Acoustics Afterburner 4x12s open up a whole new world for Mesa amps IMO. You won't fully understand till you try it for yourself, but these cabs are not hype. They handle all the lows of a Mesa, never get muddy or harsh, and sound HUGE.

Eric

Dont count out the CL80 or the Warehouse equivilant.
fluff191 said:
Wellllll thanks for setting me straight on that one. I certianly would not want any flub!! 100's it is!!

Those G12T-75s with Rectos sound crap IMO. You are much better of using Greenbacks, or any of its higher wattage variants such as the G12H30s or G12H60s...

KH Guitar Freak said:
Those G12T-75s with Rectos sound crap IMO. You are much better of using Greenbacks, or any of its higher wattage variants such as the G12H30s or G12H60s...

I would LOVE a Recto 4 x 12 with a combination of V30s and G12H - 30s!!

ibanez4life SZ! said:

Eric

Have you ever heard either of the two Mills 2x12 cabs? I saw they also sold them minus speakers.

Back