Back from the dead: R0050 pictures.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got a few pics of R0050 for you. Apologies for the poor quality of the shots, i merely snapped them with my camera phone whilst giving her a clean! First of all I want to give you a little history behind the amp:

Almost 2 years ago I was living with a friend of mine who knew a guy in a punk band from the other side of the country that owned a Dual Rec that worked OK but needed a little work. My housemate and I had previously had countless conversations about guitar tone and he knew how much I was dying to own a Dual Rec - my favourite amp. After weeks of bugging him he said that he'd ask if he was interested in selling.

Anyway, my friend got asked to play bass for Recto owners punk band so whilst on tour they stopped over at our house after they played in our city. Aftershow drinks were had and me and the guy who owned the amp had a conversation about doing a trade. His Recto for my Marshall DSL50 plus a bit of cash. To cut a long story short, the guy didn't know much about amps and needed cash quickly for the rest of the tour so a week later the transaction took place. (Used Marshall DSL50 + cash - overall approx £450/$900).

When I received it I was obviously incredibly excited, I'd wanted one for about 5yrs. On first inspection it looked very tatty (the chassis was only held in by one, loose screw!) but I noticed the serial number, posted on here to check I had what I thought I had and when this was confirmed I was obviously delighted. My disappointment when I got it to practice was immeasurable. The knobs wouldn't work, the tone was awful, the clean channel didn't work. However, as I knew the potential of the amp I stuck with her and decided I'd return her to former glories. I hunted down a good tech, got her fixed and fully re-tubed her. She now works perfectly and is one of the best sounding amplifiers I've ever heard. All I have left to do is replace the leather corners and polish the diamond plate. I'm so glad I brought this gem back from the dead!

DSC00320.jpg

I can't make out what this one says!
DSC00321.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

"Wiring by Kaydee 3.12.92"
DSC00329.jpg

RF-1C
DSC00337.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

And here's one of the final thing, working perfectly and sounding amazing!
l_be27240a56da9c8547d259f64afa331b.jpg

please enlighten an electronics noob.
What those transformers do inside of an amp ?

TheSon said:
Sweeet!

you're in Leeds ... you gonna be gigging with it anytime soon?

Hi! My band is reforming in a week or two so I hope to be gigging with it by the end of the year/january once we're back on track.

merkinball94 said:
How do you like it with the Marshall cab with V30's vs. a Mesa cab?

I really like it. I haven't used a Mesa cab with it so I can't offer a comparison though I don't seem to suffer from the flabby bottom end that so many people complain of. Other cabs I have used with it are a Marshall 2x12 (w/G12-75s) which sounded decent and an Orange 2x12 (w/V30s) which sounded fantastic.

18&Life said:
please enlighten an electronics noob.
What those transformers do inside of an amp ?

The Power transformer mainly regulates the voltages from the wall. The bigger it is, the more it can withstand an intense volume signal and the less you will hear sag in your tone. The Output transformer regulates what goes to the speakers from the power amp. These specific transformers are unique because they come from the Mark series, specifically C+/III. After 1-2 years, rectifiers stopped using these transformers and switched to something else. Hence, the earlier transformers allow the amp to sound a little sharper.

Very nice guy!!!
I too came across my first pre 500 Dual Recto (#220) with out realizing what I had.
Traded a JCM 900 head, a pre amp and $300. for it.
I still have it and enjoy it much!

Boogiebabies said:
I would say your power transformer is a 561137 Mesa Export unit for the Dual Rectifier. It's massive compared to the domestic unit.

Thanks for that Boogiebabies! I always wondered. My tech said that it had been replaced for use in the Uk but i never knew much else about it. I don't know if it was originally shipped as new with it or if it was added later on. Would this affect the tone of the amp compared to an american RF 1C? Many thanks.

Botch said:
Boogiebabies said:
I would say your power transformer is a 561137 Mesa Export unit for the Dual Rectifier. It's massive compared to the domestic unit.

Thanks for that Boogiebabies! I always wondered. My tech said that it had been replaced for use in the Uk but i never knew much else about it. I don't know if it was originally shipped as new with it or if it was added later on. Would this affect the tone of the amp compared to an american RF 1C? Many thanks.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your myspace recording is done with that recto. Cause it really sounds like a recto.

In any case, I like the tone. Suits your music very well!

LnTh said:
Botch said:
Boogiebabies said:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your myspace recording is done with that recto. Cause it really sounds like a recto.

In any case, I like the tone. Suits your music very well!

Cheers! It's not the best tone I've got out of it, it was a hurried demo that I did in one take but I'm still fairly pleased with the results!

Botch said:
Boogiebabies said:

I ran some extensive filters on the PT photo. It appears to be a 561137 and has an EIA606-147. It was the exact export transformer for the DR and has a build date of November 1991. I would say it is original to the amp.

Boogiebabies said:
Botch said:
Boogiebabies said:

I ran some extensive filters on the PT photo. It appears to be a 561137 and has an EIA606-147. It was the exact export transformer for the DR and has a build date of November 1991. I would say it is original to the amp.

CSI style! :lol:

Johnson said:
Boogiebabies said:
Botch said:

CSI style! :lol:

I even have the hat....

But do you have the sun glasses and the dramatic camera pan every time you get a new case to solve.

Boogiebabies said:
Botch said:
Boogiebabies said:

Wow, thanks for doing that Boogiebabies, that's great to know! GREATLY appreciated! :D

Back