The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaNoobie

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question regarding AVATAR CABS
how good can they handle extreme metal (death metal) and chimey cleans?
I want variety but inclined towards metal.

So I want you guys to tell me which speaker COMBO should I put in the cab for these kind of music, it will be a 2x12.

and by the way, which one of the 3 types that they offer (Contemporary, Vintage and Traditional) is best for metal?

I've never tried the Avatar cabs but a lot of folks on this board swear by them. I think as long as you dealing with 13 ply birch construction and V/30's you should be able to find what your looking for.

Not sure what head or combo you'll be using with it but for Metal, Closed back is the way to go.

what are you plugging into it?

I would suggest a Contemporary cab with a V30 and a G12T75, but if you are going to be balls to the wall with a triple rec you could blow something. Anything less should be okay.

I use Avatar cabs and I'm a really big fan of mixing speakers whenever you can, especially in the studio. Way more mixing choices that way...!

sorry, at the moment it will be with an F50 and in the late future hopefully will be a MARK IV.. or the V who knows.. :twisted:

i have 2, i have a 4x12 that is great, but the 2x12 has a bit of a rattle that happened after owning it for about 3 years

I own a 4x4 with crappy speakers in it, and it sounds great with my mark IV. I Imagine if I actually had the money to invest in new speakers, it would sound a lot better. I got mine scratch and dent from them, the front grill has "wavy" lines which look completely normal to me. I got mine for $200, steal of a deal.

And they will handle anything, as for straight up wood construction besides speakers, they are rock solid, and will project any bass you throw at it.

They're great cabs for the money.

Mesa cabs are far superior IMO, but also pricier.

In it's price range, the avatar is one of the best IMO.

I haven't owned many cabs but the cabs I've owned are:

4x12 Laney (the one that was designed for GH50L or 100L)
4x12 Marshall (Celestion G12T75's)
4x12 Mesa (V30's)

2x12 Avatar that I own right now, which is loaded with CL80's

Avatar sounds best by far IMO. I do believe it's cause of Classic Lead 80's more than the cab itself though.

So I'd say do a good research on speakers first. Then decide on your cab.

Bought my Avatar 2x12 cab on ebay for a steal and love it. I mainly use it for my Twin Twelve head and have Weber F150's loaded in it. For the money they are hard to beat. Tried it with my ROV and great chimey cleans. Didn't like it as much in Vintage or Modern modes but that is more because of the speakers I have in it (prefer celestions).

I know people love Mesa cabs and get good reviews but for that amount of money you could go boutique:
http://www.voodooamps.com/home/ProductsandServices/AmplifierLine/SpeakerCabinets/4x12SpeakerCabinets/tabid/73/Default.aspx

or
http://www.tonetubby.com/cabinet.htm

I agree that the Avatar is the best bang for the buck and sounds pretty **** good.

Latest posts

Back