The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avi8r2005

Reaction score
Does anyone else use the Avatar cabinets with their Rectifier series amps? If so, how does it campare to a recto standard 2x12? I have the recto 2x12, but am looking to add another cabinet to the mix.

They're great cabs for the money.

Tone-wise, I think they fall short of Mesa cabs, which overall just sound better.

But, Avatars are quite less expensive. So, all up to you.

If you're looking for a slightly different tone by swapping speakers, you could just swap one of the speakers in your 2x12.

Avatar uses whatever speakers you really want. If you want Vintage 30's like a Mesa cab you got it. Their standard cab is smaller though. Their vintage 4x12 cab is same size as a Marshall. It's like $450 plus shipping for a Marshall sized cab with vintage 30's. So you basically have a recto vintage cab for half the price. Avatar has good build quality compared to Marshall. Equal with Mesa

For some reason people say that a cab doesn't sound as good just because it doesn't say Mesa on the front.

Avatar is great because they realize that it really shouldn't cost 900 bucks for a speaker cabinet. Individually vintage 30's cost around a 100 bucks right? So you are basically paying 500 bucks for the wood and tolex and handles and then 400 for the speakers. Even a cheaper made Marshall is 699 brand new. Get the same speakers plus a better cabinet for under 500.

Marshall cabs are $799 now. Only $100 more for a Boogie cab and I don't see how anybody can compare Boogie cabs to Marshall cabs. It takes ten seconds of playing through them to tell the difference, IMO.

Unless you want the "nice" Marshall cab, which is $1000ish.

I had a mid 80's JCM 800 cab. It sounded great, but the back was particle board.

They have been cutting corners for far too long.

I really like my Avatar cab. I had 2, but sold 1 this evening.

Best bang for the buck.

phyrexia said:
Marshall cabs are $799 now. Only $100 more for a Boogie cab and I don't see how anybody can compare Boogie cabs to Marshall cabs. It takes ten seconds of playing through them to tell the difference, IMO.

Unless you want the "nice" Marshall cab, which is $1000ish.

Sorry, I agree with you. You are definitely right! I think if you are getting a Marshall just save alittle more and get the Boogie. Marshall cab build quality is poor. Everything that should be metal is plastic

I'm saying that the Avatar's are a great deal and sound just as good as Marshall cabs and the Mesa Traditional if you have the vintage 30's put in it.

If you have all three cabs in the same room build quality would probably be the only thing that would differ.

Save yourself the heartache and buy a Bogner cab with Vintage 30's. They eat the Mesa and MArshall cabs like little appetizers. I know its hard to beleive but a/b the cabs with a head and come talk to me.

Is there really that much difference in the wood quality if they all have Vintage 30's in them to make the Bogner sound so much better? Or is it something they do in building of the cab that makes it so much better?

I've played through Mesa, Marshall, and Avatar cabs all with vintage 30's and I don't hear a huge difference in sound with any of them. I just see a build quality difference.

Maybe I don't have as fined tune of an ear as some here though

It's probably in the engineering.

I read an interview with Jim Marshall in a guitar mag about 10 years ago. The reporter asked him how he came up with the shape & size for the standard 4x12 cabs. He said they guessed. I kind of look at it like the 1st cars. They were what they were, and engineers have been improving on them ever since, although some upgrades have been complete turds.

Turumbar82 said:
I've played through Mesa, Marshall, and Avatar cabs all with vintage 30's and I don't hear a huge difference in sound with any of them. I just see a build quality difference.

This is exactly my experience. Don't get caught by the hype!

How the heck does avatar even make any money. And what exactly do they do?

Someone else manufactures the actual cabs, and Celestion or Eminence provide the speakers. I guess they put on the grill and tolex and just wire them up.

Anyone know who actually manufacture the boxes that Avatar uses? They I'd like to get an extra back so I can swap between closed and open. Unfortunately Avatar won't sell them separately (they are even squeemish about selling speakerless cabs) so I was hoping I might be able to go to the source, so to speak.

If anyone knows that would be great.

Latest posts

Back