Attenuator with MKIIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrisj

Reaction score
I need some help to decide if I'm going to buy an attenuator for use with my MkIIC+. As it stands, I take the F-30 for more bar gigs simply because I can open the amp up volume-wise while getting that sweet EL84 tone. When I've used the MkII in the bars, I always have a great night on guitar, but the sound man and band usually wants to kick my @zz. I've got some summer season outdoors shows where I'll be using the MkII, but am really struggling to rehearse with it - it's really too loud (I know, I know...I'm getting old...blax3) for a closed rehearsal studio, especially with horn players lurking about.

Checking into either the Weber MASS or the THD Hotplate as an alternative. Wanted to know if anyone is using attenuation, and what I should know about it.

I bought a THD hotplate to use for my C+, and I ended up not using it since the C+ sounds killer at lower volumes as well.
But if you love power tube distortion, it will do great.

re-tubed the amp and changed out the EVM12l with a C90. Purrs like a kitten at any volume now. I've added high gain JJs as pre*s after a nice chat with Bob from Eurotubes (he's da man!)

I used a Z Air Break for my Lone Star Classic and liked it the best out of all of them. I hear you about using the Mark for a bar gig and my F 30 is my go to amp for small room stuff.
What I liked about it (The Z) is that I could find the tone I liked at the volume I wanted, then use the notch switch to back it down so the sound man didn't get his shirt wet from all the crying, then after the club filled up I would click it up one notch at a time. It will allow you to get more thump out of your amp, but I have found that Boogies don't get the super crunch that Marshals or other Non-Master amps get when railed. Hope this helps

Using an attenuator is the only way I can bring my MkIIC+ down to usable levels and still have it sound good. Without it, the amp is too loud for local venues on 1 in Class A mode! Using a Rockman Power Soak, but my THD 4 ohm Hotplate sounds better. SCared of using the wrong impedence speakers, though

yeah, thought this one was over...

I learned to tame the Mk IIC+ with the vol controls. Never did try attenuation, and still don't use it.

I cusom ordered a weber MASS with every option but the rack ears. It works, and I like that the balanced line out to the sound board has a full set of vol treb mid bass controls for it. Don't think that the other units available have that kind of sound man friendly feature set. Can get some great tones out of my amps when using it. Worth the $$$.

guys you got to try the the best current attenuators Faustine Phantom and Aracom Pro or Dag the best on the market to tame a boogie without loosing dynamics and its transparent ..

Back