Assorted MKIII Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogietone

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting another amp for a dedicated clean since the MKIII has the shared EQ thing and you have to sacrifice somewhat either your lead or clean. But, if I were to get a GCX switcher and a ground control I could set it up so I can put an MXR 6 or 10 band EQ on my clean channel and solve that shared EQ problem right? So I could have clean with a dedicated 10 band EQ and reverb with one footswitch on the ground control, R2 programmed on another footswitch and finally lead with a little verb and delay. Would that work? Then I wouldn't have to worry about another amp right? Or is my clean still going to suffer? Also, I have an 8ohm Mesa 2X12 cab with Vintage 30s I'm getting an EV12L 8ohm (yes, you know where this is going) to replace one Vintage 30. What would the total impedence of the cab be and would I run it in the 4ohm jack or the 8ohm jack? Thanks!

If you have 16 ohm speaker and 8 ohm speaker in parallel, the total impedance would be 16/3 = 5.3 ohm

5.3 ohm load connected to 4 ohm speaker jack doesn't break your Mark III.

Awewome. Thanks Guitarsawaicki.

Anyone have any comment on using the GCX switcher and ground control to solve the shared EQ problem?

Mixing a 16 and 8 ohm speaker in one cab is not automatically going to give you 5.3 ohm.Depending on things like the speakers efficiency,you will most likely get more power going to the speaker with less impedance.Think about it like this,two speakers with equal efficiency,one 8 ohm one 16 ohm,the 8 ohm will "impede" less current than the 16 ohm,therefore the 8ohm will be louder.It wont hurt any thing,but might not be the best for your tone.

stokes said:
Mixing a 16 and 8 ohm speaker in one cab is not automatically going to give you 5.3 ohm.Depending on things like the speakers efficiency,you will most likely get more power going to the speaker with less impedance.Think about it like this,two speakers with equal efficiency,one 8 ohm one 16 ohm,the 8 ohm will "impede" less current than the 16 ohm,therefore the 8ohm will be louder.It wont hurt any thing,but might not be the best for your tone.

If they are wired in parallel then it will be 5.3 ohms. You are thinking about serial wiring.

Wired either way your 8 ohm speaker will "impede" less current than the 16 ohm speaker,that is why they call it impedance.Although the total load the tubes see will change from series or parallel,the power will still be divided differently between the speakers.

boogietone said:
Awewome. Thanks Guitarsawaicki.

Anyone have any comment on using the GCX switcher and ground control to solve the shared EQ problem?

I run an Axess Electronics 4 loop switcher with a Ground Control Pro and you should have no problem accomplishing what you want to accomplish. Simply run the EQ in a loop of the GCX and assign that loop to a midi CC signal of the ground control. That way you can turn the EQ on either by hitting the CC switch on the Ground Control that controls the loop on any clean preset or you can have that CC be automatically on with any preset when the clean preset is recalled with the Ground Control.

I run an Axess Electronics 4 loop switcher with a Ground Control Pro and you should have no problem accomplishing what you want to accomplish. Simply run the EQ in a loop of the GCX and assign that loop to a midi CC signal of the ground control. That way you can turn the EQ on either by hitting the CC switch on the Ground Control that controls the loop on any clean preset or you can have that CC be automatically on with any preset when the clean preset is recalled with the Ground Control.[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the response! What is a "CC" though?

And is it any Axess 4 loop switcher or is there a certain model I should get? I guess I can stop asking questions and look on their website. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back