ARRRGGGHH. First practice with Dyne and it DIED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
Yup, I couldn't wait to show my band what a great new amp I have, and right out of the gate the volume dropped and the amp sounded like it was farting. I opened up the back (no easy thing - what idiot designed the stupid cage for the power tubes that gets in the way and hides the preamp tubes as well?).

I had spare 6L6s with me, but that didn't help. It was all modes, so I figured PI, or FX return. BUT, no 12AX7 in my bag. DOH! Plus, I did not have a tube chart with me, so I didn't know which was which (though I would have guessed the PI was the one not in a pattern with the others). ANyway, I reseted them all, and got enough volume to get through practice, but the tone was awful.

Just got home and replaced V7 (PI), and IT'S ALIVE. ****, wish I had retubed like I usually do with a used amp. But it's so new (it was purchased new only 10 months ago), I thought the preamp tubes would be fine.

Wow - hard to back down from that dare :D

I'm not a LP fan, though I can totally see why it would be great with a Dyne. I do have a strat-style guitar that is mahogany body with maple cap, so it's a lot like a LP, and it sounds great with the Dyne. Not really the same, tho.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a tele to go with it.

elvis said:
But WHICH one? There are currently 347 models of LP available...

Or at least it seems that way.

HAHAHAHA, ya. I can see where someone could try a LP built on Friday and be turned off completely from Gibson. There are plenty of Dogs kicking around.

My opinion on this: Start by trying out several Les Paul Standards and Traditionals. The 'Standard' is the flagship Les Paul and they are usually not bad although there can be some variation. (The new Standards are weight relieved while the Traditionals are not) You'll have to try between 5 - 10 before you find a good one, but when you do you'll probably get what all the fuss is about.

I should note that there are some nice Studios and 'lower tier' Gibson LPs out there but ya, try the 'good' ones to establish a benchmark first.

I actually owned a 1980 LP custom from about 1986 to 1988. It was nice, but I wasn't enough of a player to appreciate it. Also, the pickups were horribly microphonic. These days I find I prefer a 25.5" scale. I still pick one up now and again in the stores, though.

I love my tele with the ED. It is the first amp I have had that really made the Tele shine. really gets that Tele twang.

For a Les Paul, the Custom shop stuff is awsome if you can afford it. I am lucky and have been spoilt as my first LP is a custom shop historic R0. When I got it, I didn't think it was so special, but it was very light. After playing a number of others I can now really appreciate the difference. The finish and setup are much better, anyone who I have let play it has commented that it is really nice to play.

elvis said:
I actually owned a 1980 LP custom from about 1986 to 1988. It was nice, but I wasn't enough of a player to appreciate it. Also, the pickups were horribly microphonic. These days I find I prefer a 25.5" scale. I still pick one up now and again in the stores, though.

Were the pickups unpotted by chance? I have never had a problem with microphonic pickups. I'm serious though, hearing a good Les Paul with an Electra Dyne just might make you rethink the guitar. It quite possibly pairs up better than with a Marshall!!!

J.J said:
I love my tele with the ED. It is the first amp I have had that really made the Tele shine. really gets that Tele twang.

For a Les Paul, the Custom shop stuff is awsome if you can afford it. I am lucky and have been spoilt as my first LP is a custom shop historic R0. When I got it, I didn't think it was so special, but it was very light. After playing a number of others I can now really appreciate the difference. The finish and setup are much better, anyone who I have let play it has commented that it is really nice to play.

The custom shop guitars are probably worlds better than the production line stuff. My Les Paul happens to be really nice but I think it still pales in comparison to that level of craftsmanship. That being said, I was playing it today and it feels like the instrument plays itself. It is effortless to play.

The clean channel on the Electra Dyne has an ebullience and verve about it that I don't hear in many amps. It just feels great to play, so organic and interactive. I find it to be equally great with both my electric guitars, and they each have a really unique voice.

So many guitars, so little $$$.

In my opinion, the thing that dominates the feel of the Dyne is the transient response. It pops, like an old Hiwatt. So you really hear when pluck the strings. It gives unbelievable dynamics, which is what I think people mean when they use adjectives like "organic" or "responsive". It's not dead flat. If you pick light, it's got a fat sound with great tone, and if you pick heavy or pluck, it'll punch you in the mouth.

The custom shop guitars are probably worlds better than the production line stuff. My Les Paul happens to be really nice but I think it still pales in comparison to that level of craftsmanship. That being said, I was playing it today and it feels like the instrument plays itself. It is effortless to play.

The clean channel on the Electra Dyne has an ebullience and verve about it that I don't hear in many amps. It just feels great to play, so organic and interactive. I find it to be equally great with both my electric guitars, and they each have a really unique voice.

A good LP is always a good LP. The finish is definately more consistant with the custom shop ones, but thats not to say they all sound better than the others. It's really just little things like the fret board being sanded/buffed smoother, fret ends dressed perfectly. The back of the neck on mine had been polished really well too which allows the hand to glide every so smothly. My USA SG feels like sandpaper and the fret ends repeatedly catch my fingers.

I agree about the clean channel. Besides the other Mesa amps the only other place I know to get that tone is from a Fender.

elvis said:
So many guitars, so little $$$.

In my opinion, the thing that dominates the feel of the Dyne is the transient response. It pops, like an old Hiwatt. So you really hear when pluck the strings. It gives unbelievable dynamics, which is what I think people mean when they use adjectives like "organic" or "responsive". It's not dead flat. If you pick light, it's got a fat sound with great tone, and if you pick heavy or pluck, it'll punch you in the mouth.

Yes, the dynamics are very important. Mesa have been careful with the vintage gain stages such that they don't all saturate at once (unless you want them to do so). The harmonic content and texturing I feel also plays as big a part. I was sucked in by the EDs tone long before I learnt to use ts dynamics. Seriously, after coming from the Express 5:25 which is quite a stiff compressed and rolled off amp in comparision I really did have to learn to use dynamics.

Back to the original topic, I was going to sell my F50 head this past weekend. After having the Dyne go down, I will keep the F50 as a spare. It's a medium head, and not too heavy, so it's a small thing to have to lug around in case bad things happen.

Latest posts

Back