Are vintage amps all tight?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredding

Reaction score
I'm listening to Patera today and find their tone from a marshall is very focused like the mark's. I just wonder if all the vintage amps are all tight to begin with. Then there comes the Recto which started the loose tone.

Huh?

Most vintage amps are looser than modern amps.

Don't know what you're talking about with Pantera. Dimebag never used a marshall, he used a solid state amp.

Ahh, never say never. :D

Back in the day (been wanting to say that all week) when they were playing local clubs in DFW I think the sound was Marshall.

And, just pulled the old 'Projects in the Jungle' album and Diamond Darrell (not yet Dimebag) credits Marshall.

Man that was a long time ago...

Peace

phyrexia said:
Huh?

Don't know what you're talking about with Pantera. Dimebag never used a marshall, he used a solid state amp.

I think he uses a JCM 900 on "the art of shredding".

DougM_TX said:
Ahh, never say never. :D

Back in the day (been wanting to say that all week) when they were playing local clubs in DFW I think the sound was Marshall.

And, just pulled the old 'Projects in the Jungle' album and Diamond Darrell (not yet Dimebag) credits Marshall.

Man that was a long time ago...

Peace

Can't believe you've seen them live!

shredding said:
phyrexia said:
Huh?

I think he uses a JCM 900 on "the art of shredding".

The tech just did an interview about what darrel used his whole career. He stated that he ALWAYS used the randall century 100/200 heads. It really doesnt sound marshal-ish at all to me. Dimebag always had a very specific, and unique tone that I always attributed to the SS randalls. White zombie used the same head also, similiar sounding.

shredding said:
I'm listening to Patera today and find their tone from a marshall is very focused like the mark's. I just wonder if all the vintage amps are all tight to begin with. Then there comes the Recto which started the loose tone.

The Recto was kind of "back to the future." Believe it or not but the Recto design was originally intended as a shredder's amp (and then Kim Thayil happened), and the old-style tube rectification was probably to give the amp a more organic kind of feel.

The Mark series aren't usually considered "vintage" amps (unless you're trying to pump up the price)-- in fact, I'd argue that the MkII is a pretty good dividing line between "vintage" and "modern" amps.

Howitzer said:
The tech just did an interview about what darrel used his whole career. He stated that he ALWAYS used the randall century 100/200 heads. It really doesnt sound marshal-ish at all to me. Dimebag always had a very specific, and unique tone that I always attributed to the SS randalls. White zombie used the same head also, similiar sounding.

I think the "art of shredding" has a very marshall sound. and yeah, that youtube video confirms it.

I too saw them in a small club in DFW, my band opened for them, and I'm pretty sure they had Marshalls. Stuck in my head because I was playing through a Marshall also. A little side note: Maybe it was all the drugs but I remember a girl, maybe two, in the band playing keys for them in this club on Lemon Ave in Dallas. At the time I thought, who the hell are these jokers? Their not going anywhere. What a dumb *** I was!

Anyone know about the early years and if they had a female keyboard player?

Yea those days are pretty hazy. Lemon Ave, seems like Mother Blues was on Lemon.

I don't remember a female keyboardist.

A good buddy of mine hung with them some back then, I'll have ask him.

Latest posts

Back