Are stock MB tubes good enough? Trip Rect.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixStringShredder

Reaction score
Hello,

I have owned my Triple Rect 2ch for 10 years, and haven't retubed yet! I was in a serious band for about 7 years, and I/we practiced almost everyday at loud volumes. I have not retubed yet, and a serious red plating issue (power tube 2nd from the left looking from the back of the amp) is forcing me to buy new tubes.

I play all styles of music, but prefer to play hardcore metal with a lot of pinch harmonics, palm mutes, and low tuning (seven string). I at one time bought a PV JSX head and was impressed with how much gain you got, at low volumes. It blew the Mesa away. However at higher volumes, it was wayyyy to feedbacky! Way too much noise!

I am looking to replace my tubes. I am leaning towards just buying the stock mesa ones and calling it a day, but I feel there could be a better choice out there. Is there anything wrong with using stock MB tubes, or can I spend my money on aftermarket tubes and get a better sound with more gain?

Thanks,

For power tubes, I prefer JJs over MB tubes. I think they sound better. Not many people really like the stock MB tubes.

For preamp tubes I used to like a Chinese 9th Gen. in V1, and JJs in the rest, but I found some older Mesa 7025 STRs (Chinese 9th Gens) and a SPAX7 (Sovtek, I think) that I put back in recently. I found that the SPAX7 has more gain than any other tube I have.

mikey383 said:
For power tubes, I prefer JJs over MB tubes. I think they sound better. Not many people really like the stock MB tubes.

For preamp tubes I used to like a Chinese 9th Gen. in V1, and JJs in the rest, but I found some older Mesa 7025 STRs (Chinese 9th Gens) and a SPAX7 (Sovtek, I think) that I put back in recently. I found that the SPAX7 has more gain than any other tube I have.

+++1

I agree with Mikey.

I too really love JJ or Sovtek WXT+ for power tubes and Chinese tubes in V1 with the rest being JJ or Sovtek as well.

Great minds think alike!

Keep in mind that if yor Triple has the older str420 power tubes.....you'll probably be severely dissappointed with the current str440 power tube. I have both and find the 440's to be severely anemic compared to the older version. For what you described about your sound, I can't recomend the TAD 6L6GC enough. If you liked the way your old tubes sounded then I would recomend scouring the web for some chinese 6L6GCR which is exactly what the str420 power tube was. If your amp had the str430 version....then just about anything you come across will be leaps and bounds better than that lol.

I play modern alt rock in the vein of 30 seconds to mars, fightstar ,brand new etc what you recommend for an el34 set for my rev g (i think) 2 channel dual rec?

cheers-

The JJ E34L sounds really good, as does the E-H EL34. I dont personally like EL34's as much as I like the KT77's. Bit more low end with the EL34 mid range bite.

I've never heard of any of those bands and don't know what kind of guitar tones they have. What I can tell you about EL34's is from the 3 brands that I have.

Mesa STR447: This is a relabeled Sovtek WXT+. Pretty bright for an EL34. They have a very pronounced mid "bark" to them. I find them to be very shallow in the low end department but the low end they do have is extremely tight.

Electro Harmonix: Made in the same factory as the Sovtek/Mesa tube and certain people will tell you they sound exactly the same. Nothing could be further from the truth. I find my set to have alot more low end girth than the mesa tubes. Also they are no where near as bright. They still have the mid bark of an EL34 but you might have to dial back the low end for that bark to be more prominent. also the top end is alot darker and more creamy than the Mesa. I prefer this one over the Mesa by far.

JJ EL34L: This tube is the detroyer of angels. This tube has as much low end as any 6L6 in my tube case (SED =C=, TAD, MESA 440's, Shuguag GCR's). This tube even when using alot of low end, still has a prominant bark in the mids. Also the high end is not as creamy as the EH and not as hairy as the MESAs. This is the crem-dela-crem of EL34 in my opinion. I don't lose any of the recto thump but it tames alot of the fizz and puts a good punch to the mids. I believe this tube would work for any style of music and it is actually a pretty cheap rout compared to the Mesa tubes. Check out Eurotubes for the best price on these.

fluff191 said:
The JJ E34L sounds really good, as does the E-H EL34. I dont personally like EL34's as much as I like the KT77's. Bit more low end with the EL34 mid range bite.

+1

I love the KT77s. IMO, the E34Ls have too much mid range. The KT77s don't have all that honk like EL34s do.

I'm selling a bunch of tubes that have either VERY low hours or have never been used. PM me if you're interested...got TAD 6L6s, Mesa EL-34s, different preamp tubes, and more.

Latest posts

Back