Anyone using different rec tubes in their RK?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgarallanpoe

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone using something other than the 5u4GBs in their Road King? I have some NOS 5AU4 and others and was wondering if anyone tried this experiment yet. What does it do to the bias, tone, and anything else.

Thanks in advance.

The purpose behind the rectifier tubes is to convet AC power to DC power for the output tubes. It has no effect EQ-wise on the tone but, more on the feel of the amp with playing dynamics and stuff. I believe what you have is a GZ34 equivalent. Its tighter in feel but that why you have the option of using the diode setting on your amp. Plus, I believe someone here experimented with GZ34's and it kept blowing th fuse on the amp. Bob at Eurotube's says to run a fuse with a .5 higher rating and that it will handle the GZ34. I don't know if I wiould want to try that on my RK. :shock: Pus, again, that;s why you have the diode setting. :wink:

I know the Rec tubes aren't in the signal chain anywhere, but changing them can change the volts and that does effect the tone, albeit indirectly. Thanks for the heads up on the fuse issue, that does give me pause. I can't help it, I am a constant tinkerer...LOL!!! I don't even have a reason because this thing is giving up the goods in a major way.

Back