Anyone using Ayan "Smooth-n-Slim" to reduce flub,

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danipman

Reaction score
Have pretty much had it with the poor bass tones on MKIIC+.

Thinking about a new amp.

The kid I play with has a BF Bandmaster that is solid as an oak. The Boogie cuts thru, but need better bass fundamental tones. Tried 2/12 closed back cab.

Read about this Smooth n Slim box today

Can anyone comment?

Also anyone try JUKE amps?

Thanks

Dan

If you know of anyone with a EARCANDY 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet try it out. These cabinets obtain a tight puchy, yet fat bottom end. I have been amazed by my Sov 1x12, know matter how hard I push the bottom end it stays tight.

Lot's cheaper than a new amp too :)

Have you ever had the filter caps changed?If it still has the original caps it could be time for a change.On my IIC+ I have to keep the bass at 2.If your caps are old replacing them will give you much better bass response.Worth trying before selling the amp.

Do you have a link to the Smooth n Slim. I haven't heard of it. I like to read about it. What Stokes said is worth investigating. When amps get over 20 years checking the caps is a good idea.
I assume your amp doesn't have the onboard eq. But if it does keep the bass control low and boost it with the eq. If it doesn't have the onboard eq try an eq unit in the effects loop. Some people use pedal eq's with good results. At one time I used a Rockman 11 band rack mount eq with my old IIC+. It worked great. You should still keep the bass knob low. You will get a much tighter bass respnse with an eq.

The link is http://home.earthlink.net/~ayan/sands.htm

I did think about the filter caps, but called Mike B and he state dthat they generally should not have to be replaced. When I get some time I will pull out the chassis and look.

My amp doesnt have an eq, but I used to use a boss one in the loop, which is pretty much the same. I may throw it in the loop but I dont like the sound of an Graphic EQ on a guitar amp.

The problem there is you are boosting frequencies that have been "edited" by the gain stages. It does add some bass, but it is still kinda vague. The fundamental of the bass notes get compressed by the gain.

I think it is the placement of the tone stack prior to the gain stages.

Either way I am looking at a more esoteric amp like a Juke or a Fargen and more manageable volumes for power amp gain. Even on Simul-Class with some soft JJ's or Svetlanas, it still too loud to crank up to get creamy tones.

Its served me well for 22 years, but will probably be "retired"

I will concur, an EQ is a must for tone shaping, not just boosting. The bass and mid knobs on my amp stay at 2, even at insane volume levels. Use an onboard EQ in a "V" shape, if you have it, or a pedal or rackmount will do just fine through the loop also. The EVM-12L speaker will not have near as much cone deflection at high bass levels, therefore a tighter bass response in any cabinet style, especially at loud volume.

I have heard that Mike at Mesa has said this before,but I strongly disagree with that.Electrolytic caps begin to dry up after about 10 yrs,that is the electrolyte in the caps.I know that manufacturers have gotten better since the days when I began learning about tube amps,but they still use the same electolyte.I have a IIC+ I have owned since the mid '80's.I change them every 6-8 years,even tho there is no symptoms of a bad cap,but the one noticeable thing is a better bass response every time. If your caps are still original new ones would definately give you a tighter bass response,I cant say that that is the key to all your tone problems,your last post you sound like you have other tone issues.I have the 60watt not simul and no eq,and I have never had a problem getting that creamy overdrive tone,at any volume.Maybe different tubes as well?But caps will definately give you improvements.And it is always better than waiting for one to pop,makes a real mess.Hate to see you give up on the amp after 20+ years,it obviously did it for you at sometime.

I have heard that Mike at Mesa has said this before,but I strongly disagree with that.Electrolytic caps begin to dry up after about 10 yrs,that is the electrolyte in the caps.I know that manufacturers have gotten better since the days when I began learning about tube amps,but they still use the same electolyte.I have a IIC+ I have owned since the mid '80's.I change them every 6-8 years,even tho there is no symptoms of a bad cap,but the one noticeable thing is a better bass response every time. If your caps are still original new ones would definately give you a tighter bass response,I cant say that that is the key to all your tone problems,your last post you sound like you have other tone issues.I have the 60watt not simul and no eq,and I have never had a problem getting that creamy overdrive tone,at any volume.Maybe different tubes as well?But caps will definately give you improvements.And it is always better than waiting for one to pop,makes a real mess.Hate to see you give up on the amp after 20+ years,it obviously did it for you at sometime.

The Smooth n' Slim pedal does work. I've used it for several years and it works as advertised.

mrmax said:
The Smooth n' Slim pedal does work. I've used it for several years and it works as advertised.

Is the pedal worth $119? anyone know what's inside the Smooth & Slim? I can't find much info on it. Wouldn't an EQ prdal do the same? thanks for any info, before I spend another $119.

I pd $85 + shipping when it first came out several yrs ago. For what it does , I think that it's worth the current price, but I play a lot of older amps that really benefit from the Smooth N' Slim. I've tried EQing away the flubbyness but the S N' S does a far better job. I hope this info helps.

Yea the new price is $119 shipped. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for getting back.

The pedal works great. But on a IIC+?! I needed it on a Rectifier but my IIC+'s have always been TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT! That's one reason I love those amps. How is your amp set-up?
I think the pedal is some sort of Low Pass Filter, so it does take away some of the Bass that's not noticeable.

I have the MKIV and I think I'm going to pass on the pedal right now. I'm dialing in at no more then 2 on the bass and using the EQ on the amp to finish it off, seems fine, but I always get a little crazy with channel 2.

Latest posts

Back