Anyone used a Weber Mini-Mass?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
So I got this blue angel from dylan, but the things loud as ****, and overdrive pedals are just still too loud! BUT THE TONE! When I have the rare opportunity to crank it, it sounds like absolute heaven. I'm broke as hell, so I can't afford the $250hotplate, and I need something that will handle both 8 and 4 ohm loads as the blueangel takes advantage of switching. Enter the Mini-Mass, checked it out on their website, and it seems like a helluva deal at $100 for the 50 watt model, and the samples didnt sound to bad.

Anyone tried this? How's the tone compared to the standard mass? Is the standard mass good enough to warrant the extra $90? (I'm REALLY broke...) Any input would be very much appriaciated, as there doesn't seem to be alot of stuff floating around the net on it...

In the Harmony Central amp forums there is a sticky on the Hotplate versus Weber. Also I've done a review of the economy Mini-Mass (up to 25 watts) with sound clips from my Fender Champ.

I really like the Weber, way more economical than the Hot Plate.

Here's the review:
http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-reviews/weber-eminimass-review.html

Ned

I really hate to spend your money for ya (my friends say I'm a bad influence for spending money on toys), but I'm glad I bought the full-fledged MASS (not the mini-MASS). I like having the ability to tweak the EQ, but unless you are doing massive attentuation, you may not need it. I just hate being in the situations where (later on) you wish: "Man, those extra features would have been nice!"

But having said that, a mini-MASS will get you most of the way there. I forget ... does the mini-MASS have line out? The full dealie MASS has one and it's neat to have. I wasn't sure I needed to have one of these (some people are down on attenuators), but after getting one, I'm SOLD. I have some very nice NOS preamp tubes and get some great preamp distortion with the knobs set just right, but pushing my Mav's JJ EL84's real hard??? Yowza!!!

We're talking CHUNKY/CREAMY, at the same time. Very, very nice.

My eMiniMass died on me, Weber sent a new MiniMass (25watt version) and it is working very nicely. I used the MiniMass on my Champ when making clips for the Verbzilla review. You can check them out here:

http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-reviews/line6-verbzilla-review.html

i've been using my mini-mass for a couple months now. it does have the line out which sounds exactly the same as the slave-out on my boogie. for tone, its kind of hit and miss. theres deffinnitly alot of compression at very high attentuaion levels, and theres a fair bit of treble rolloff, but i can usually compensate with the eq on the amp or by putting a boss eq in the loop. for the price, im not really going to argue. ($100).

musicbox said:
i've been using my mini-mass for a couple months now. it does have the line out which sounds exactly the same as the slave-out on my boogie. for tone, its kind of hit and miss. theres deffinnitly alot of compression at very high attentuaion levels, and theres a fair bit of treble rolloff, but i can usually compensate with the eq on the amp or by putting a boss eq in the loop. for the price, im not really going to argue. ($100).

Absolutely. There are a number of ways to accomplish the same thing (EQ to adjust for greater attenuation levels). That's why if the choice is the mini-MASS or nothing, I'd go with getting it, for sure. Especially if you have some form of decent EQ to make those adjustments.

I have to say, I'm very pleased with what attenuation can do for ya. At this point, it's mostly for getting cranked tone in my house without completely freaking out the neighbors (although I'm not too sure how they feel about "Voodoo Chile" at any volume); but they're also great for gigs. A guitarist who plays some smaller clubs said they're invaluable for getting great tone in the small places. People say to him: "Man, your tone is awesome!" ... Well, it should be: those power tubes are positively crankin'!!!

Back