anyone use Dougs Tubes pre's in Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
I'm considering getting the

- V1 Tungsol 12AX7
- V2 High Gain JJECC83
- V3 Penta 12AX7
- V4 Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen
- V5 Sovtek LP/LPS

tone kit from dougstubes.com, just trying to get some feedback from any other players who used these in their Mark IV's.

Thinking about going JJ 6L6 or should I maybe try something else for a change? Never had the JJs in the IV before....

I play mainly metal.

Here's the thing that kills me about Doug and Bob at Eurotubes:

They sell everyone the same preamp set. No matter what amp they have. I bought those same tubes from Doug about 5 years ago for whatever amp I had. Bob does the same thing. How could the same preamp tubes work "best" for every amp?

That's like letting someone else set your tone controls.

I just buy various preamp tubes from time to time and now I have a decent assortment.

Then, from time to time, I experiment. That said, I currently have the stock Mesa labeled tubes in my Mark IV and love the tone I'm getting.

Dave

I didn't like the high gain tube in V2.
If metal is your playing style than you might like it.
I felt it weakened channel 1, channel stayed about the same and channel three got even more nasty.
I do have a tungsol reissue in V1 which I like.

Best of luck.

Jeff

I do the dougs thing except I put a JJ in place of the penta. Used that set on many different mesa amps. I like it. Have no desire to try something else.

Latest posts

Back