Anyone try an ED thru a Thiele ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdy

Reaction score
Curious....just the Thiele/EVM12L cab without any other speaker connected.
Soundclips too maybe ?

I tried the ED head through a pair of EV thiele cabs. Not the best match for my ears. I do like those cabs with the Mark Series Boogies. I think it has to do with the amp's voicing.

Wow....I would have thought that with the low end girth that the ED
has tone wise that it would've sounded pretty good.
What kind of volume were you playing with and did switching from 45w to
90w make any difference ?

Birdy said:
Wow....I would have thought that with the low end girth that the ED
has tone wise that it would've sounded pretty good.
What kind of volume were you playing with and did switching from 45w to
90w make any difference ?
Plenty of girth, for sure. It was the highs that were overpowering from the EVM speakers. Medium to loud volumes, it actually sounded better in 45 watt mode. 90 watts gave more low end punch, but also more harsh highs with the increased headroom. The Mark series is a more midrange voiced amp, thus it benefits from the EVM extended high and low frequency response. The Electradyne does not need this extension, and would most likely sound best with "Greenback" Celestions or equivalent. I am currently running a 2x12 with MESA MS-12 speakers, but looking hard at the "Scumback" speakers to replace them for use with the Electradyne. I have another plan for the MS-12's that involves some custom made 1x12's. :twisted:

Thnx for the tone report Joe.
I run my ED thru Greenies now and love the tone....was just curious
about the Thiele though.

JOEY B. said:
YellowJacket said:
I have a thiele 2 x 12 with a greenback and a v30. Sadly, I haven't run it with an Electra Dyne yet.

The cabinet design was not the issue, as it was the EVM speaker that I didn't like when paired with the Electradyne.

I completely agree.
For an Electra Dyne, I would choose from a Celestion G12m (greenback), G12H 30 (heritage or anniversary), or a v30. The c90 is a close second, and makes the 'Dyne sound more 'mesa' and less 'marshall'.

Latest posts

Back