Anyone tried swapping out the stock speaker in a LSC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MESABLISS

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried a speaker other than the C-90, in the LSC 1x12?...I've been having a hard time getting that top end sparkle/crunch, in the gain channel....I've read good things about Eminence Red Coats...my thing is that the amp sounds too "boomy", in the low end...from some posts I've read, it seems I'm not alone ...so if you've installed a different speaker, let me know if you're happy with the results...Thanks

I have replaced the stock C90 speaker with a Celestion Blue Bulldog in my Lone Star Special, and this fixes the problem with the "boomy" bass. This is not a cheap speaker, but it is worth the money! Very "transparent", especially in clean settings, great dynamics.

You have to take into account that this speaker is rated at 15 W, so if you use only one speaker, make sure you don't go higher than the 15 W setting on the LSS. Even at 15 W, the amp is still loud enough for many situations. For larger clubs, I use the amp with an extension cabinet (Mesa 1 x 12, open back w. another Blue Bulldog).

I used some V30s and Weber Silver Bells in my LSC. They both seemed to tame the buzziness a bit and tighten up the distorted sound. I like the Bells best of all. Had to get the 50W versions so I could use all the power options.

I've considered the Celestion Century Vintage, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's neodynium, and I haven't heard any feedback on neo speakers from people I know... Anyhow, It's supposed to be sonically similar to the CL80, and therefore, probably the mesa C90... but only 3.5 lbs. Taking 6-7 lbs off the LSC would sure be nice...

I've been wondering if I should swap out the speakers in my 1x12 LSS and 1x12 ext cab... I just wonder if it's really going to buy me anything.

The switch to JJ tubes was significant, I wonder about a speaker swap...

aw, sh!te. The Celestion Century Vintage is 60W...

Sabu - I've been told a speaker change CAN be the most significant change you make to "your tone." ...unless, of course, you buy similar speakers...

Ya...I'm not sure I want to make a change unless I hear a big difference in tone..the stock speaker sounds fine...but the gear "tweaker" in me won't go away...****!!...lol...I know this amp.(LSC) isn't a "Metal", amp..but ..I think a crunchier tone can happen....if the speaker swap would do it..I'd give it a try.....hey...Wat happened to the Fillmore spaeaker that we see in the manual?....anyone?

It would appear that the stock speakers are best suited for my playing style so I tend to think I'm going to leave them alone.

I think the Filmore is waiting in the wings. Aparently Mesa re-negotiated with Celestion and will continue using their speakers. That is, until they stop building them in the UK. Word is they won't accept the Chinese made speakers.

Jack

Back