Anyone replaced the terrible Nomad knobs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I'm test driving a Nomad and very close to committing to a trade for it. But, the knobs are terrible! They are ugly and you can barely tell where they are set. Anyone replaced them? I'd like to replace them with the mini knobs that the Mark V uses since the controls are laid out in such a similar way. They look like they would fit. They are like smaller versions of the Stiletto knobs. What are these called? Can I order them from Mesa only?

EDIT: Just found these - http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=104 - Are those the right ones? They look like they will work...

Spec sheet:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/EPD-200010.pdf

MrMarkIII said:
Here's another place to try:
http://www.effectsconnection.com/
Knobs for days. :D

Thanks! I just found these too - they are smaller than the other ones:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=644&sfs=7c5217e7

I'll have to measure the Nomad's knobs and keep these the same. They use a set screw so they should work, but i'll have to measure the pot shaft too so they don't stick up too far and look silly. I think i'm on the trail though! :D

I know, it's not a Nomad, and they're not Stiletto knobs, and it now looks like a Line 6 :lol: but it just shows what's possible...
DSCF0003-34.jpg

jaquetapus said:
Sweet! I've never liked the Nomad's knobs either, but could never justify changing them.

-dave

For $25 shipped I think for the ones I found I think it will be a very nice facelift!

MrMark - thanks for the pic!

I just replaced all the pots on my 45, and while i was at it, i masked off all the knobs and painted the center arrow on them SILVER! i would rather have numbered mini knobs to remember my settings better,
and i have to say this kinda reminds me of something mod like say,the old duncan amps that you can change pre-amp sections in, but one thing's for sure, you can see the settings from across the stage!

DION said:
I just replaced all the pots on my 45, and while i was at it, i masked off all the knobs and painted the center arrow on them SILVER! i would rather have numbered mini knobs to remember my settings better,
and i have to say this kinda reminds me of something mod like say,the old duncan amps that you can change pre-amp sections in, but one thing's for sure, you can see the settings from across the stage!

Got pics? Why'd you replace all the pots?

I replaced all the pots because from what ive read in the forum posts so far, it seems to be a recurring problem with some models, or production batches of some models. mine is a nomad 45, #59, which i bought brand new in spokane,wa in 2000. at the time, it seemed like some of the pots had some shaft play, IMO, but they all worked and the amp sounded pretty **** good.( i had a 82 mark II-b 60 reverb head in the mid 80's which ROARED, and built my own combo cab from boogie specs and loaded a EV 12L, so i had a soft spot for boogies.
my current one is also the 1-12 combo and i plan to do the mods i read about today. anyways, ihad basically all my treble and mid pots on at least two channels going bad, and i decided i would'nt replace one or two, but all if i was going to do it: operation successful! i'm not reall computer-savvy with respect to posting or anything, but if i can figure out how to upload a pic, i'll take one and you can tell me if you think its really gaudy! sometimes i favor function over looks in my line of thinking, but im not sure what i think of this yet!

There are a number of ways to get a visible line on the Nomad knobs, so we can see the settings. One would be to use some very thin automotive pin striping tape. This would be reversible, for re-sale. Another would be top cut a small "V" in the indicator portion with a "V" shaped file. and fill the grove in with silver colored "rub and buff" (available at arts and craft stores). (Not reversible.) There are probably better ideas.

Wow..I couldn't help but think of the same friggin thing!

Im gong to cut some small reflective triangles with my vinyl cutter and place them on the knobs when I get it back from the shop.

I'd rather the metal ones they use on the rectifiers. Maybe I'll just order me in some and replace em all.

I took a slightly different route. I bought some 1/8" wide white adhesive pin striping tape at an auto supply store. I put a piece about 1/2" long on the "arrow" side of the knob and used small scissors to cut the point on the arrow. It is certainly visible. It is also something I can take off and make the amp "bone stock" should it ever be trade-in time.

They are not only hard to see, but they are just ugly in general! I'm still debating whether to keep the amp, but if i do keep it then the knobs are going to be replaced entirely. It will be a very worthwhile $25 upgrade IMO.

Funny thing is theyre ugly but i bet in 25 years there will be collectors willing to pay big money for original knobs for their "vintage" amp haha :lol:

Back