Anyone prefer the Mark IV to the Mark V... Why?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeSignature

Reaction score
Im looking to sell my mark IV combo to help fund a Mark V head. However, I was wondering if anyone likes the Mark IV more than the Mark V.

If so, why?

Clean? Rhythm? Features? Size? Reverb? Anything....

imo, channel 1 and channel 2 on the V, can do all the great things that channel 1 and 2 on the IV can do, and much more. (because i really do love all 3 channels on the IV)...however most people seem to agree, lead channel on the IV > lead channel on the V..reverb must be better, cuz i kinda dislike the IVs

Ive played a mark V recently, and a mark IV a long time ago. I own a Mark III. The 5-band eq on the V is no where near as sensitive as the III or IV was, so i think thats a big negative. The mark V can do basically any tone, but god **** it its got 1000 little switches and whistles. The IV is a little more simple, and the III is extremely simple, but tougher to dial in. i prefer the III to both, but they are all incredible amps.

guitarzan1143 said:
Ive played a mark V recently, and a mark IV a long time ago. I own a Mark III. The 5-band eq on the V is no where near as sensitive as the III or IV was, so i think thats a big negative. The mark V can do basically any tone, but god **** it its got 1000 little switches and whistles. The IV is a little more simple, and the III is extremely simple, but tougher to dial in. i prefer the III to both, but they are all incredible amps.

yeah actually i heard that about the GEQ on the V as well

I owned a Mark IV about 2 years ago and now have a Mark V. The V kills the MIV in CH1 and CH2 for sure. CH3 on the IV I had was noisy so I have to say the V sounds better on CH3. I don't recall the GEQ being any less/more sensitive. It's still affecting the same frequencies. Reverb definitely sounds better in the V (it was unusable in the IV). I thought the IV was more confusing with all it's switches, push/pull knobs, and shared EQ. I'm very happy with my V. It's so much more user friendly than the IV IMO.

Lead channel noisy on the IV? Weird cause mine is quiet as a mouse even at VERY high gain settings. Maybe it's my EMG's.

I really wouldlove to hear a V one day. No-one bloody stocks them near me! :(

I own both currently and since I purchased my Mark V head, I've picked up two more Mark IV's. Hands down, for me, the Mark IV takes the prize. No contest. The Mark IV sounds much better to my ears than the Mark IV mode on the Mark V.

My reco, do not sell your Mark IV.

ya if ur a metal kinda guy, and the lead channel makes or breaks it for ya, maybe the IV is a better, slightly cheaper bet..i don't know why ppl dislike the IV's cleans..they can get very dark warm sounds, or bright fenderish chimey cleans..if people would just use the manual more...i use every channel on the IV equally, and I couldn't be more happy..im sure the V is nice, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Fronzil said:
ya if ur a metal kinda guy, and the lead channel makes or breaks it for ya, maybe the IV is a better, slightly cheaper bet..i don't know why ppl dislike the IV's cleans..they can get very dark warm sounds, or bright fenderish chimey cleans..if people would just use the manual more...i use every channel on the IV equally, and I couldn't be more happy..im sure the V is nice, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?
Amen brother. If I had no amp I would look at a V. I would never trade my IV in for one though.

Fronzil said:
if it ain't broke, why fix it?

+1

Here's my math...

Mark IV + $1000 = Mark V

If I'm happy with the Mark IV, why should I spend another grand to the basically the same tones? I'd rather buy something else.

I'll take my IV over a V any day.

The Mark IV is a lot more adjustable, tone-wise. There are more switches to play with, knobs to pull or to not pull... I mean, you can't make a V go down to 30 watts of 6L6 power, the Lead channel is smoother on a IV... I just think there's more you can do with each channel of a Mark IV than a Mark V. Don't get me wrong, the V sounds great, it's just not a perfect substitute for a Mark IV.

GD_NC said:
Fronzil said:
if it ain't broke, why fix it?

+1

Here's my math...

Mark IV + $1000 = Mark V

If I'm happy with the Mark IV, why should I spend another grand to the basically the same tones? I'd rather buy something else.
dwsabianguy said:
I'll take my IV over a V any day.

The Mark IV is a lot more adjustable, tone-wise. There are more switches to play with, knobs to pull or to not pull... I mean, you can't make a V go down to 30 watts of 6L6 power, the Lead channel is smoother on a IV... I just think there's more you can do with each channel of a Mark IV than a Mark V. Don't get me wrong, the V sounds great, it's just not a perfect substitute for a Mark IV.

+2 id rather use the extra 1000 to fund another axe. having only played a V for roughly 30 min (only lead channel cuz thats all i use), i didnt see all the hooplah, def not worth the extra 1000 if you already have a IV and mainly play with distorted tones.

Clean .... about the same.
Channel 2 ..... I like the V better.
I have amps that do all these sounds better in my ears.

Lead ..... the IV is much better than the lead channel on the V.
It was my plan to keep the IV and get the V. After playing V I felt the IV was much better and well never be buying V.
I have no interest at all in owning a V any more. I feel the IV is a better amp.

I would take a II, III or IV over a V any day.

You better play a V before you buy it is all I need to say about it.

Mark Fore said:
The Mark IV sounds much better to my ears than the Mark IV mode on the Mark V

Actually I think that the big deal about the V should be its c+ mode, with the IV mode being little more than a fancy add-on.

straitouttahell said:
Mark Fore said:
The Mark IV sounds much better to my ears than the Mark IV mode on the Mark V

Actually I think that the big deal about the V should be its c+ mode, with the IV mode being little more than a fancy add-on.

And apparently the IIC+ mode is as close to a real IIC+ as the Mark IV mode is to a real Mark IV... that is judging by the IIC+ owners here. I don't own one. I just A/B'd my Mark IV and V tonight and it is the IV that always comes out ahead. The V's features are great though, still a great amp.

Mark Fore said:
I just A/B'd my Mark IV and V tonight and it is the IV that always comes out ahead.

"And it makes me wonder" :lol:

This makes me think a bit... Three channels... Three modes each... It has better cleans and rhythm tones than my IV, but the leads weren't even in the same ballpark... I've heard this before... I've always been suspicious about the V being something like a TriAxis with a mono Simul Class poweramp put in the same chassis and, whether this is true or not, the results seem to be pretty much the same.

Can anyone describe the difference between the IV and V lead channel in detail? What makes the IV's CH3 sound better in particular?

Latest posts

Back