Anyone know of a good overdrive pedal for a Studio Preamp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbsmusic

Reaction score
I have a TS9 I'm using now, I'd like to find something to fatten up my tone and just add a better chunk to my Studio. Anyone have any good ideas on something they have used and liked? Thank you.

MXR Wylde pedal. I used it for quite a while with both my studio pre and my mark IV. It suits the high gain lead tones of the Mark series great. And using it as a lead boost it adds a great gritty characteristic. However if you're looking for a smoother tone, try out somethin like a Fulltone Fulldrive, or a DS-1

metalgarth said:
Keely modified DS-1 if you are after a rock distortion.

+1 - this is one sweet pedal!

The MXR ZW pedal was a bass stealer so I sold it as soon as I bought it...

I've not tried the TS-9 though, but the SD-1 is supposed to be similar without the heavy mid-hump...

If you can, try the Rocktron Austin Gold.

It's a stompbox that, for some unknown reason, nobody seem to know, I have one and found that it pairs really well the sound of Mark-oriented Mesa products.

They usually come cheap too.

I'm sure the Keeley is 'better' than the stock DS-1, but how? I'm not exactly a big fan of the sound of the regular DS-1. That said, I use a Maxon OD-808 for boosting.

less noise, better quality distortion, more clarity, etc...

I'll let Keeley explain :lol:

New as of 2007--STACKED MOD!!! Two TI RC455P IC ICs stacked inside for clarity, noise reduction, and a mini-toggle for TONS OF TONE options.

Our SD1 5 Star Ge mod includes a two way gain switch that allows you to select between two different diodes for the clipping/distortion section of the pedal. The “down” position selects a germanium diode (the “Ge” part of the name). The Ge diode clips the signal more than a standard silicone diode, providing a more saturated, compressed, and smoother sound with more distortion available. The “up” position selects an LED for the clipping section, which clips less, allowing a clearer, more “open” sound, with less compression, more dynamic response, and more output available. Both are asymmetrical and both are an attempt to make the pedal more ‘tube-like’ since tubes and transformers rarely produce a symmetrical distortion.

NOTE, this is not just a switch to make it like a TS9 as some folks do. This makes it MUCH fatter, cleaner, and more defined, AS WELL AS gives it another mode to increase the gain beyond what a stock SD-1 offers!

NEW BETTER BYPASS! We have improved the BOSS switching making it even closer to true-bypass! In stock form these units may suffer a bit of bleed through when off if the level and gain are set very high. No longer! We now have the best sound pedal both on and OFF!

NEW as of January, 2005. Keeley Electronics has made the BOSS SD-1 effect pedal better! Now with a unique twist, the Diode Switch is a standard feature instead of an option. This allows players to get a really heavy sound for pushing a Marshall amp, etc., or to use it as a really fat sounding tube amp simulator! Perfect for both single coil and humbucker guitars!

This pedal is a key element to many heavy rocker's tone. It's like the TS9 with more transparency and more edge. If you are looking for something in the Tube Screamer vein, but with a little more hair on it, not as much midrange push, this is it! Plus, this mod has got a Germanium diode in the clipping section as a standard part of the mod! The Super Overdrive, GE***** 5 STAR MOD! You saw it here first! Complete with metal film capacitor and resistor upgrade. Increased Bass, Drive, and Fidelity

don't have any experience with the studio pre (actually looking to buy one myself) but i currently use an sd-1 with my dsl..its a great pedal but im probably gonna send it in to keeley soon to get it modded

Guys, what do you think about this one?

Mesa Studio Preamp

Will this do modern metal tones? Will it have the gain I need like on my rectifier?

Try one of the original Marshaii guv'nor pedals if you can find one.I use one with my studio pre 50/50 amps.Great pedal.I also have boss sd1 and ds1, ibanez ds7 ,a jhs od and a dan daddy o. The Daddy o is quite close to the sound of the Marshall,just not quite so fat.For insane distortion try a Digi tech grunge .

Are you going from the Studio Pre into a combo or a head? Try a Burriss Boostier between the Studio and the amp. This little gem opens up the tone and brings out those fat~chunky~buttery sounds I hear talking to me from inside my head. :shock:

unconventional said:

Mesa Studio Preamp

Will this do modern metal tones? Will it have the gain I need like on my rectifier?

The studio has a good high gain sound, but it doesn't sound like any Rectifier. I personally think that's a good thing. 8)

Ibanez/Maxon SM9 Super Metal. Two JRC chips in it, just like the Tubescreamer, lots of gain, and lots of low end. Good for a boost with low end or extra distortion.

Damage Control Demonizer.

I use the Demonizer often for another tone when recording, but also use the Damage Control Solid Metal for my live rig overdrive. Good pedals.

Yeah, it's an old post, but it covers a question.

So I'm looking for a pedal to run in front of the Studio Pre's rhythm channel that will give me some nice Marshally crunch stuff. I won't be using the pedal on the SP lead channel as that's already set up for soloing.

I've heard that Mesas don't like anything in front of them. Surely there's a nice overdrive or distortion pedal that works well?

I'm leaning toward the SD 1 w/ a Keeley mod.

Anybody try anything else and have luck? Satchurator? Lovepedal? Zendrive? English Muff'n?

GodBlessTexas said:
unconventional said:

Mesa Studio Preamp

The studio has a good high gain sound, but it doesn't sound like any Rectifier. I personally think that's a good thing. 8)

Agreed, more Markish in tone, really sweet!!

talltxguy said:
Yeah, it's an old post, but it covers a question.

So I'm looking for a pedal to run in front of the Studio Pre's rhythm channel that will give me some nice Marshally crunch stuff. I won't be using the pedal on the SP lead channel as that's already set up for soloing.

I've heard that Mesas don't like anything in front of them. Surely there's a nice overdrive or distortion pedal that works well?

Anybody try anything else and have luck? Satchurator? Lovepedal? Zendrive? English Muff'n?

Using this with my studio pre and love it. I can use it as a drive, boost, or create a 3rd channel that I use for AC/DC'ish sounds.

I traded in a tube boost that I wasn't using for some things at GC, to include a Boss DS-1. It's in the ballpark anyway. Despite people saying Boogies don't like anything in front of them, my SP's clean channel seems to like this pedal as do I. Keeley's got a mod for $80 or so that should help dynamics a bit.

I had that SD 1 but had Analogman mod it. Never got to run it through my SP, but it sounded very good through a little Blues Junior I had. :lol:

Latest posts

Back