Anyone ever use EV speakers in a Rectifier cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockhound76s

Reaction score
Anyone on the board have any experience using EV's in a 2x12 Recto cab?. I really love the EV mated to my Mark IV, and was hoping to try EV's in my recto cab to tame some of the "woofiness" that I get at stage volume.

If any has some experience with this (good or bad) I'd like to know. I tried the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the Thiele cab with the EV? The woofiness goes away and in its place comes serious bottom. Zakk Wylde uses EV's in his Marshall 1960 cabs. I don't hear woofiness in his sound. But then again, he is playing a 2203 also. When I convert to non-ported thiele in my cabinet I would have to say that the closed cabinet just gets punchier. If by woofiness you mean punchiness I would have to say that a closed cabinet creates more but if it is the combination of the tone of the open back with the punchiness that you are describing, the closed back gets rid of the airiness in the sound. The EV is just a pretty honest speaker as far as reproducing your sound whatever it is that you are sending to it.

By "woofiness", I mean too bassy. The 2x12 recto cab with the v30s is what I have now, and I find that the low end is too much for my liking. I like a very tight percussive 80's metal type sound.

I was wondering if using EV's in the same cab would tighten up the low end of the recto cab.

By the way, I hear you on the Thiele (I used to have one and loved it). I started this post because I already own a recto 2x12, and have a opportunity to score a couple of EV's for a great price.

See my post in the vintage section. Extreme volumes could cause the V30's to "mud out". If you are saying that "woofiness" is "muddiness", you are on the right track. If you are wanting less bass, the EVM-12L will NOT give you less bass (just more clear sound, love it or hate it). This will not vary with cabinet type, it is all about frequency response and power handling.

000_0104.jpg

I played a single EVM12L in the Mesa cab above
(with a disconnected V30 in the bottom slot), until I decided to put in an Emi Swamp Thang in the bottom. I liked the tone of the single EV, but LOVE the 12L/Swamp Thang mix. I will be the first to say I love a big fat juicy bottom, that most would consider "not very eighties".

I absolutely hated the original V30's in that cab. To my ears they sounded too crispy, and overly grating in the upper mids...like a giant amplified vinyl record scratch. The bass was not only missing, it was undefined at all volume levels.

I think EVM12L's are killer speakers, and worth a shot (at least try one). Also, if you go EV, you will need longer screws to mount the EV's, and drill the cab for 8 holes each to support the weight of the each speaker. My cab is tad short, so there are only seven mounting studs around the mounting perimeters of each speaker.

Back