Anyone else having trouble with low mids on LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumminsix

Reaction score
It's begining to question my understanding of tone.

I've been a Fender fan for years and can easily dial in the low mids with a Fender tonestack. However with the Mesa tonestack is really boggling my mind and I can't seem to dial in the low mids.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

On the LSS I use low drive, then use every control pre-presence as descending gain stages. So dial treble in as your highest control and then everything else lower down to bass at the lowest setting - clears things right up and you can then dial in whatever mid you need.

They have the same preamp, so give this a shot on your LSC and see if it helps.

Guitarzan said:
Swap your V1 tube with a JJ ECC 803 tube or a GT 12AX7M. Low Mids will come out.

Thanks. Will the come out without mud? The new tubes I got did help bring out the mids but they are too peaked in the center so they sound too fat before I hit the low mids.

The new tubes I got did help bring out the mids

What tubes did you get? I would recommend the 803 first. Depending on what is readily available in your area. Your pre amp tubes will be a determining factor for most of your tone.

Guitarzan said:
The new tubes I got did help bring out the mids

What tubes did you get? I would recommend the 803 first. Depending on what is readily available in your area. Your pre amp tubes will be a determining factor for most of your tone.

Doug sent me a pair of Chinesse and a lower gain Tung Sol.

All 3 sound the same irrespective of position.

I too struggle with the Low-Mids muddy tone problem. I found that using the 4 ohm output into an 8 ohm cabinet brightened up the tone enough to make it easier to dial in a good tone. I personally like the tone better than when I was using the 8 ohm output. It's a subtle difference, but there definately is a difference. I beleive the manual describes the tone using the 4 ohm output as a brighter snappier response. I am also setting my presence up to between 1 and 2 o'clock. Try is and see if it makes a difference for you.

strumminsix said:
Thanks CodeTitan, what type of guitar (& pickups) do you play?

I have three guitars that I play through this amp. When I wan't really nice full clean sounds I play my Fender Stratocaster Deluxe with Custom Shop '69 pickups. These pickups produce really clear highs and very punchy lows. When I want a more edgy Fender sound I play my stock Amercian Standard Stratocaster HSS with stock pickups (the single coils in this guitar seem to have more pronounced mids than the CS '69 pickups. For all out raunchy rock & roll I plug in my PRS McCarty with stock pickups. The PRS produces a sound very similar to the '57 Les Paul.

hey thanks! it'll be in my next batch of tubes as i play!

i was thinking a pair of EH's and now maybe a pair of 803s.

however i'm thinking months down the road no time soon.

again, thank you.

You may want to try a Groove Tube 12AX7M It's a Mullard reissue that sports a long plate as well...I teeter between the 803 and the M for V1 in my Dual Rec's.

I have tried both the JJs and the 12AX7EH (electro harmonix). I think the EH's add a bit more dimension to the high end without getting brittle and they have really improved the low mids. I don't have that buzziness. The JJs made it better but the EHs are more like what I wanted.

I am thinking of the new manufacture Mullards that EH is doing now.

I also changed my speakers to Weber Silver Bells. They are tonally like the V30s, but I like they way they handle distortion better - it is smoother.

My controls on Channel 2 are: (all by clock dial)

no drive (I toggle that in for fat distortion)
thick on
gain 1
treble 2
mid 11
bass 930
master 10
no FX

This is the same cascading gain. The thick switch really makes it nice.

Latest posts

Back