Anybody try Clean/Pushed with an OD?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris McKinley

Reaction score
Anybody try using the Clean/Pushed channel with the gain and tone controls maxed with an overdrive up front? I've used this combo since I first got my Triple Rec and it gives a really good old school metal/classic rock kinda Marshally tone. I've posted on this topic before when I first stumbled on it. The tone is a lot more "open" and uncompressed, so there's more crunch, even with 6L6's, than you get on either Channel 2 or 3, even when those are set to Raw mode.

I've also found that using a clean boost in addition to an OD in front of Clean/Pushed can get you into surprisingly high-gain territory that will easily meet your classic metal needs, and even a whole lot of modern pop. Now, why don't I just switch to either Channel 2 or 3 instead for high gain? Because of the tone. That open crunch that Clean/Pushed has is great with high gain, and it just can't be found at any gain setting on either of the other two channels. When I want something a little crunchier, a little more Marshally, I can use Clean/Pushed. When I want Mesa roar, I switch to either of the other channels, depending on what I'm needing.

What this gives me is almost a 4 channel amp. I can use the Clean/Pushed configuration I just described for Marshall stuff. I can switch it to Clean and switch off the pedals if I need some actual cleans. I can switch to channel 2 Vintage with the pedals on for some really high-gain late 80's/early 90's metal. And finally, I can switch to channel 3 Modern for total metal meltdown. Anyway, lotsa fun, so I thought I'd share it with my fellow Rectoids.

Chris McKinley said:
Anybody try using the Clean/Pushed channel with the gain and tone controls maxed with an overdrive up front? I've used this combo since I first got my Triple Rec and it gives a really good old school metal/classic rock kinda Marshally tone. I've posted on this topic before when I first stumbled on it. The tone is a lot more "open" and uncompressed, so there's more crunch, even with 6L6's, than you get on either Channel 2 or 3, even when those are set to Raw mode.

I've also found that using a clean boost in addition to an OD in front of Clean/Pushed can get you into surprisingly high-gain territory that will easily meet your classic metal needs, and even a whole lot of modern pop. Now, why don't I just switch to either Channel 2 or 3 instead for high gain? Because of the tone. That open crunch that Clean/Pushed has is great with high gain, and it just can't be found at any gain setting on either of the other two channels. When I want something a little crunchier, a little more Marshally, I can use Clean/Pushed. When I want Mesa roar, I switch to either of the other channels, depending on what I'm needing.

What this gives me is almost a 4 channel amp. I can use the Clean/Pushed configuration I just described for Marshall stuff. I can switch it to Clean and switch off the pedals if I need some actual cleans. I can switch to channel 2 Vintage with the pedals on for some really high-gain late 80's/early 90's metal. And finally, I can switch to channel 3 Modern for total metal meltdown. Anyway, lotsa fun, so I thought I'd share it with my fellow Rectoids.

What do you mean by tone controls maxed?

I have used the OD->Clean Boost-> Clean channel combination for a very edgy high gain. Depending on what mode i use on the Roadster (Fat vs Brit) it has either a Mark I type flavor or a British type flavor. Its definitely a cool trick to use to get some more variety.

RE: "What do you mean by tone controls maxed?". I mean the bass, treble and mids all dimed. One oops....the presence isn't maxed; I leave it right around noon. These settings are as per Randall's suggestion in the instruction manual about using the Pushed setting.

I prefer putting the clean boost (or a boosted graphic EQ) in front of the OD personally, since it cuts down on the amount of white noise that hits the preamp tubes. The tone can, of course, be further tailored with an EQ in the loop.

Chris McKinley said:
RE: "What do you mean by tone controls maxed?". I mean the bass, treble and mids all dimed. One oops....the presence isn't maxed; I leave it right around noon. These settings are as per Randall's suggestion in the instruction manual about using the Pushed setting.

I prefer putting the clean boost (or a boosted graphic EQ) in front of the OD personally, since it cuts down on the amount of white noise that hits the preamp tubes. The tone can, of course, be further tailored with an EQ in the loop.

Hmmmm... I'll have to try that Chris.

Chris McKinley said:

Pretty cool tones with these settings on my RoV. Perfect for fusion leads IMO. Good amount of sustain and plenty of mids to cut through. The treble knob definitely acts like another gain stage above 12:00. Cheers!

Just tried similar settings on Channel 2 Brit on the Roadster and sounded pretty **** cool. Has a very British, Marshally tone but with more ballz, somewhat like a Stiletto but different. Very cool... thanks for the heads up Chris.

Latest posts

Back