Anybody running a DC-3 on two output tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceTre

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 35W Mesa/Boogie Dual Caliber DC-3 that I bought in 1997. Even though it has individual volume controls for each channel and a master volume, I've found that the tone is rather thin and uninteresting at low volumes, especially for the clean channel. Once I can get the channel volume and master volume up about halfway, the tone is good. However, that causes complaints from band members and sound men.

So I'm looking for ways to get that good tone at a lower volume. The easiest, I would think, would be to remove two power tubes, one on the positive and one on the negative swings (I assume that would be either the two inner or outer tubes). That changes the output impedance to 4 ohms, but then I would simply have to move the internal speaker cable from the 8ohm to 4ohm jack. But before I try this, I wanted to check with the folks here at the forum to make sure this would work, and that I'm not missing something else that would need to be done (change of resistor values in the power circuit?).

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back