anybody prefer Marshall-style cleans and low gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
i bought a 50cal+ a number of years ago cuz i got a pretty decent deal on it
and i figured "hey, its a boogie, so i'm gonna like it" (not knowing at all what i liked)
over time, as i've explored different amp tones (primarily from youtube demos), i've come to realize that my preferences might lean more towards a marshall-style tone/texture/timbre
also, my playing styles have changed. when i first started, i was primarily into high gain death metal riffing and such (for which i find the 50cal+ more than adequate and pleasing).
over the years, i've turned down the gain knob more and more, and my playing interests have done an about-face towards zeppelin and hendrix. so i guess its the clean, and lower gain settings that i prefer the marshall tones. i've heard that boogies are based on fender amps, and the fender cleans/low gain do nothing for me at all.

so is this the EL34 vs 6L6 thing?

Run your EQ in the Up/down/up/down/Up configuration with heavily boosted 750 area and reduced/mid gain to taste. At first you'll find the tone slightly unfamiliar, but with some tweaks in the upper register you'll find it to be very Orangey/Marshally. I love this tone. It's almost like a secret Boogie tone. I saw something similar on Haggerty's demo of the IIC+ mode of the Mark V and it sounded almost dumble-esque, so when I tried it on my Mark III I found it to be very ear pleasing once I got over how different it sounded instead of the normal hard scoop everyone uses to get the "Boogie lead".

i have similar G-EQ settings. mine are (1-10) 8, 2, 8, 7, 6
but more than the tone it seems to be a texture-thing. like maybe my boogie is too "smooth" and i'm looking for something more raspy?

here's some clean and low-gain samples that send a shiver up my spine... in a good way

first 45 seconds of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXfRP3c8sw&feature=channel_page

and the crunchy texture in (she talks too much):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nuu0NEUdRQ

while ia am not exactly sure where your tone is going ... my .50cal + was a tone machine - could make every sound imaginable - just one at a time. keep playing with it and your guitar settings.

yes, the boogies are ridiculously versatile..I will NEVER sell my IV, that being said, the amps have their inherit voicing, and while you can dial in a Marshall type flavor from em, there is no replacement for the real thing..personally I need my chimy, Fender like cleans, and boogies kill for high gain lead tones, and also for blusey for rock tones..the marshall for me is just a rock crunch machine (FWIW, I have Mark III and IV at my house, as ell as an 81 JCM 800 2202and a 79 JMP 50 watt..my desert island amp is definitely the IV)

I definitely prefer 6L6 boogie cleans over Marshall cleans. Some el34 amps do have great chimey full sounding cleans however. H&K and Diezel cleans are really nice. Bogner XTC 101B cleans are pretty good too, but not quite as good as a Lonestar.

For low gain stuff, I prefer the plexi-ish brit voicing over say, a low gain recto or Mark tone.

For high gain, they both have their place.

well, i just dropped the middle G-Eq slider. and now have it in the dreaded "V" configureation
from Bass to treb (1-10) 7, 4, 2, 9, 7
my tone knobs are treb=7, mid=7, bass=3.5

i also find that i'm lowering the Gain knob more and more.
i spoke to Voodoo amps over the phone, and they said that the older you get, the less gain your ears need.
he said its like it was a biological thing, and not an old-farty-fogey thing

anyway, thought i'd share

now i just need a strat, vibe, fuzz and some talent

I prefer Marshall-style cleans and low gain in the non-master 50 watt (1987) and 100 watt (1959) lead amps. I also prefer these as a source of high gain sounds as well.

SonicProvocateur said:
Run your EQ in the Up/down/up/down/Up configuration with heavily boosted 750 area and reduced/mid gain to taste. At first you'll find the tone slightly unfamiliar, but with some tweaks in the upper register you'll find it to be very Orangey/Marshally. I love this tone. It's almost like a secret Boogie tone. I saw something similar on Haggerty's demo of the IIC+ mode of the Mark V and it sounded almost dumble-esque, so when I tried it on my Mark III I found it to be very ear pleasing once I got over how different it sounded instead of the normal hard scoop everyone uses to get the "Boogie lead".

I just tried this, and i couldn't believe it, it's like my Mark IV just turned into a Marshall. It definitely had the trademark midrange. Amazing, great tip thanks for this!
I have had a Mark IV for 20 years (91), and i am STILL finding new sounds!!!

Noe5

Back