Anybody here mod Mark/Studio series amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snave

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Studio preamp once again, and (as with all the cascading channel Mesa amps) I expect trouble balancing the volume and gain of the two channels.

I've seen various Mark and Studio series amps (including preamps) with an extra lead channel pot to fix this issue. Are there any experienced techs on the board who do this mod? Thanks.

Monsta-Tone said:
:D Me, but I moved back to Hawaii, so shipping is usually too expensive.

You might PM Boogiebabies or RR. Not sure if they do this mod though, sorry.
Thanks for your confidence :lol: Monsta-tone but no, I don't do any modification. Only have two kit amp builds under my belt.

So no more MESA modification Monsta-Tone? :(

Would need to see the schematic
changing values is not hard but
finding a way to switch more things may complicate
have you talked to boogie ?
if they suggest a simple change then a local tech should
be able to take care of it .
good luck , sounds possible

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't actually have a schematic for this particular mod (might be able to dig up the Studio 22 version).

I'd definitely be interested if you could work on it, Monsta-Tone. You were on my short list of techs to trick out a DC-10 when I still had it. :) Hopefully shipping isn't too excessive for just a preamp.

Believe it or not, Fed Ex does Ground Shipping out here as well.
I really think that USPS Priority Mail is the cheapest though.

PM me if you decide to send it. I haven't had the time to update the website yet with my new contact info.

not to take anything away from Monsta - but the pics of the actual mods are somewhere posted here. i took my 2 Mark IIIs to a local guy with the pots and showed him what to do - took him about 45 minutes total between the two. got the pots from Mesa direct so they would match ...

search around, someone probably has posted a step-by-step of what to do or ... (drum roll please) call Mesa and tell them what you want to do. they are the most helpful people on the planet besides 'us'.

good luck.

Looking at the schematic for the Studio Pre does reveal a pot that functions as you suggest. It is the Lead Master control and is switched in via a LDR when the unit is switched into the lead mode. The way it is configured this control will only attenuate the signal (hence compensating the additional gain of the lead channel) and has the capablility of taking the volume all the way down pretty close to zero although there probably will be a small amount of signal bleed even at the lowest setting. If your Studio Pre is not doing this it could be the controling LDR needs replacement. It is not unusual for LDRs to go bad. Let me know if you need further assistance with this. I can get you a schematic and help you with where to look.

Latest posts

Back