Anybody get Master of Puppets on Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpoon

Reaction score
The MOP tone is what most metal heads try to aim for on their Mark IV and I was wondering if any of you guys got close to that tone yet. If you have, please fill us in on the secret to that sound.

Yes, you must either meditate with a Yogi or die and reincarnate as James Hetfield. In a nutshell, it's multi tracking, multiple cabs, EQ'ing, power amps and his talent. A few IIC+'s might help.

Boogiebabies said:
Yes, you must either meditate with a Yogi or die and reincarnate as James Hetfield. In a nutshell, it's multi tracking, multiple cabs, EQ'ing, power amps and his talent. A few IIC+'s might help.

True words of wisdom oh great one! You are correct sir! Hiyoooo. :lol:

IMO i don't it's really that hard just try and get a tight focus over the lead channel with plenty of aggresion and little more top end and you will have it .

The Mark IV will get you the fundamentals of the tone. I'm actually in the process of trying to record this song, and I know I'm not going to nail it exactly. There were a lot of other factors besides the amp that affected the sound on that recording:

1. EMG-equipped guitar
2. Aphex parametric EQ post-preamp
3. Using a Marshall JCM as a power amp
4. Marshall cab

The album recording is also made up of many, many guitar tracks with a much lower gain than you'd think, played incredibly tight (which IMO on this song is very difficult, with all the downstrokes at that tempo).

Add the characteristics of a good studio environment and mastering job, and there are a lot of variables in play that really can't be achieved exactly. Not the least of which is that every guitarist's tone is unique; their exact fingering and strum style interact with the guitar, which interacts with the amp, which interacts with the rest of the recorded tracks, etc.

While it's good to know what you want to achieve, developing your own tone is more important.

That said, I'll see if I can put something up of my own attempts when I get a clean mix going.

More to consider... strings, string guages, pick material, pick weight, and of course technique. Using the edge of the pick at a bit of an angle to the string instead of a flat, square pluck will get you a little more scratch across the string's windings and will add a bit of a "crunch" character, particularly to palm-muted stuff. Let's not forget that "More Beer" sticker on James' old white explorer. Lots of rings and uber-cool wrist bands help too... just ask Zak Wylde.

mr_fender said:
Let's not forget that "More Beer" sticker on James' old white explorer. Lots of rings and uber-cool wrist bands help too... just ask Zakk Wylde.

Plus you have to be able to spit ten feet in the air with complete disreguard for your band mates. After acheiveing this, your hands will be in the correct position to play the hell out of Mr. Tinkertrain. :wink:

Back