Anybody ever try a V30 in a Thiele?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I've got a MC90 speaker on the way to replace the V30 that I currently have in my Studio .22 combo cabinet. I'd been wanting something different, and it seems like the general consensus is that the MC90 sounds better in an open back cab than the V30. However, I still want to keep the V30 around as an option for certain tones (like Recto tones) and I'm looking around for a 1x12 cab to put it in. I like the idea of the Thiele cab, but it seems like the usual choice for those cabs is the MC90 or the EVM12L. Has anybody ever loaded a V30 into a Thiele? How's it sound?

I've got a V30 in my Thiele. It originally came with a EVM12L. I drive it with my 60/100W Mark IIC (upgraded to +) combo. I hardly ever use the Thiele by itself...I almost always use it with the speaker in te open-back combo.

When I first got the Thiele, I felt that that the two together was just too much of that EVM12L sound. So, I dug out some other speakers that I had and I tried swapping them all around. I tried a Jensen C12K (from my Deluxe Reverb Reissue) and a V30. After trying all the combinations, I ended up with the EVM12L back in the combo and the V30 in the Thiele.

With that said, if I *only* played through the Thiele, I would have gone back to the EVM12L. It was the sound of Thiele plus the open back combo that made me like the V30.

Your ears may like something better. Heck, now that I've lived with the EVM for more time, I might now like the EVM better in the Theile than the V30....the EVM was quite a change for me at the time.

Chip

Back