Any suggestions on high quality wireless systems?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babow2

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know how meticulous most of us are about our tone. We play our guitars through world class amps, and we stress over the type of cables we use, buffered/nonbuffered effects, etc... So, here's my question:
I am still searching for a wireless system that doesn't suck tone. I play through high quality cables, but would love the freedom of wireless. I've tried the various consumer level models and they all color or detract from the tone. I see the pros on stage using wireless all the time, and they have great tone. I realize, from talking with folks like Jeff Watson and Sammy Hagar (shameless namedropping), that they have access to time, money and help that we mortals don't. Nonetheless, they use wireless and have great tone.

Does anyone have any suggestions, referrals or comments on whether there are wireless guitar systems that don't color or detract from my tone?

Oh, and I can't wait to see the breadth of opinions and controversy on this post!
Thanks,
Brent

X2 Digital. I have the stomp-box version and love it. I have never once had a drop-out during a gig or practice. If I try to walk across the street, sure it will drop, but I bought it for the sound quality, not distance. The newer rack version has a longer distance if need be, but honestly, when will I be 150' from my amp during a gig?

Sounds every bit as good as 30' of George L's Cable. A 9V will last 4-6 hours in the transmitter.

Dom

I have a Shure unit (probably paid $300 3 years ago). Never had a problem nor noticed any difference b/w cable or wireless. The only issue I ever had was once the band was at an outdoor gig running off a generator, and mine and the bass player's wireless units were picking up each other (not good to have bass coming through your amp, trust me). But that was once in 3 years, and it must have been that power issue.

I have the XDS Plus by X2 ( Line 6 ) I have played many shows with it and have never had a drop out or problem. When I first bought the unit I spent the better part of a day "anally" A/Bing it with a cable and it does not sound exactly like a cable but the difference is so slight that I could barely notice appreciate it. On stage I have a transmitter on all of my guitars and switching is as simple as pressing one button. Compared to anything else I have used this is the best. You really have to plan on a battery for each show but not tripping over cords is definitely worth it.

Good Luck with your search

I wouldn't get anything but an X2. I haven't used them, but i know a lot of guys who gig with them extensively, and they say they're the best.

DO NOT get anything but a digital system. With analog TV going offline in the USA next year, that frequency spectrum is going to be divided up and used for more digital wireless communication. Analog wireless units will still work, but there'll be a LOT more interference for them to contend with.

If what you want is the best, then the finest wireless systems in the world, regardless of type, are made by Lectrosonics. End of subject.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/PressReleases/slash/slash.htm

http://www.lectrosonics.com/

Latest posts

Back